SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

*For Sale* Gibson ES336 £1650

What's Hot
skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 977
edited April 14 in Guitars £
Up for sale to help fund another purchase…here’s the wording and conversation I had with the seller at the time as it has a back story.

Gibson ES336. Not to be confused with the much more common CS336. 

This guitar has a solid carved mahogany back and top which are chambered with a solid centre block. Totally different to the construction of a normal 335 etc. 

This guitar was purchased in 2017 as a non finished guitar.... so it’s nearly 30 years old but had not been finished by Gibson. I purchased the guitar from the USA from the guy who was given it to paint in a Gibson custom, historic paint special edition run. He had painted several as one off art pieces and returned them to Gibson custom shop to finish off with hardware, pickups final assembly etc. 

So I bought the guitar with no hardware or electronics and no paint. I had the guitar professionally painted in Nitrocellouse. 

I also added Monty's PAF pickups and a vintage style wiring harness, Tone pros bridge and tailpiece and Gotoh tuners. 

Hi Andy,

The paint was done by Sims Custom Guitar works in the UK.
I do have the montys pickup boxes as far as I remember and I'll double check for you.
There is no COA from Gibson as the guitar final paint and assembly was not done at Gibson. The guitar was made by Gibson then sent out to have custom artwork painted on it. It was never painted and sat at the artists house from the 90's right through to when I purchased it unpainted from the USA in 2017.
In terms of action, strings, playability it's all really very good indeed. Low action with no fretting out is possible (thats how it's set up right now) Currently its set up with 10's but I will happily set up for your string gauge if you make a purchase. 

I'm right in the middle of a large restoration project in my business right now and it's eating money so I would be open to a sensible offer if you wanted to make one.
Also very happy to discuss any more details you would like to know. I will also look form the pickup boxes for you.
This is a really amazing guitar and I think with the Montys Paf's and the brand new paint it's super stunning and higher spec than it would have been if it were finished at Gibson.
Speak soon
All The best
Lewis

I have the box for the Monty’s PAF’s

Has the rare snakehead headstock

It has a belly cut

I’ll include the black leather heistercamp quality guitar strap I have used with it

I have gigged this guitar a few times but it is still in superb condition. The only thing that has happened is the paint has reacted with my guitar wall hangers either side of the headstock (see pictures)and I also discovered that one of the pick up tone controls isn’t working…but I always had them flat out so never noticed until I tested it before listing and it is playing in the flat out position. I will edit later to say which one it is. Both of these things are reflected in the price for this rare guitar.

I’m going to also include a couple of pictures of a guitar that was painted by the artist in question that were kindly found by another member here in a NGD thread I did.

Any questions feel free to ask or if you want more pictures and it’s collection or meet up only please and I’m in Bedfordshire.

£1650

• “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 977
    Pictures from the original sale

• “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Headstock pictures and the other guitar that was painted

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11940
    Nooooooooo Andy - I can't believe you're selling this...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27169
    Wow! That’s a seriously rare beastie!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Offset said:
    Nooooooooo Andy - I can't believe you're selling this...
    I know….neither can I but the pull of a masterbuilt Gretsch is too much and great guitars must be sacrificed!!

Wow! That’s a seriously rare beastie!! 
    It is a very rare beast indeed….and a great player….someone will be very happy.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    With all respect to the artist, don't (personally) think so much of the custom job pictured, but chacun à son goût, as our French cousins would have it :D 

Your 336, on the other hand, is so sexy as to verge on the obscene.  Am I right in thinking it looks smaller than a 335?

You always have the illest shit when you sell, Andy.  If someone buys my Lennon I'll be all over this like a cheap suit...

GLWTS, in the meantime ;)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:
    With all respect to the artist, don't (personally) think so much of the custom job pictured, but chacun à son goût, as our French cousins would have it :D 

Your 336, on the other hand, is so sexy as to verge on the obscene.  Am I right in thinking it looks smaller than a 335?

You always have the illest shit when you sell, Andy.  If someone buys my Lennon I'll be all over this like a cheap suit...

GLWTS, in the meantime ;)
    Thanks…the 336 is the smaller version of a 335 and for me being vertically challenged a more manageable size..!

I’ve decided a masterbuilt Gretsch will quell my gas otherwise I wouldn’t be selling this as it’s a superb guitar.

Hopefully your Lennon sells then we can talk :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    skaguitar said:

I’ve decided a masterbuilt Gretsch will quell my gas ...

*points and laughs* :naughty: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bump
    Sunday bump
    Ttt
    Weekend bump
    Bump
    Up
    Open to offers
    What am I thinking….withdrawn 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5059
    skaguitar said:
    Wise decision, looks a lovely guitar. Refinished high-end guitars can be very hard to sell for decent money unfortunately. Just enjoy it for a few more years I guess. Thanks for sharing it.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    skaguitar said:
    Wise decision, looks a lovely guitar. Refinished high-end guitars can be very hard to sell for decent money unfortunately. Just enjoy it for a few more years I guess. Thanks for sharing it.
    Thanks…Yes…. I played it again and it is a superb guitar that I know I’ll regret selling in the end. I’m going to keep it and gig it…:)
    Back up and priced for a quick sale. 
    Bump