Shout out to Ash at Oil City!

What's Hot
SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1436
… for taking care of me (and my Christmas bonus from work …)

I have a Winterizer II (HB-sized Firebird pickup), a Copperfield (Keef Micawber Tele bridge pickup clone) and a Blue Streak (Super Distortion variation) on the way. 

All wound with lovely NOS wire, though the polysol on the Blue Streak is only from the 80s and according to Ash doesn’t really differ from the newer stuff, unlike the plain enamel on the other two.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20600
    ^ Lucky man. :-D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
    tFB Trader
    Thank you old chap ... this new year is going a bit mad with work :-)  
    Coming weekend i should have my werkshop clearout up in the classifieds ... I have all sorts to get rid of ... not just pickups! There's bridges, tuners, all sorts of odds and sods ... I need more room! Pickup surrounds ... all sorts of old scratchplates ... 
    i think it's going to end up like a guitar car boot sale! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    werkshop
    Jawohl. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1436
    Got the Blue Streak installed into my baritone Jazzmaster last night, replacing an A4 PAF style pickup. 

Different gravy. Tighter low end and a faster attack. Nice grind to the mids. Loves a bit of dirt and offers great string separation when using effects.

The neck pickup is a Sustainiac and it is liking the extra welly from Ash’s pickup. With the PAF-style I had to set it closer to the strings than where it sounded best for the sustainer to work properly. The Blue Streak is set 3 to 4 mm below the strings and still able to give plenty of juice to the sustainer.

It’s such a familiar sound having been used on so many records, and one I hadn’t had in my arsenal previously.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Yay, glad you like it ... :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Got the Winterizer II installed in my Les Paul on lunch break today.

Not as zingy as other FB-style pickups I’ve encountered, probably down to those being Alnico 5 as opposed to 2.

There is a real bounce and dynamics to this pickup (as well as all the usual FB clarity) which is likely down to some combination of it being unpotted and (possibly) the looser build tolerances of the NOS wire.

Killer.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    Snagged a lovely Strat last week from the wonderful Heywood Guitar Doctor, Denis. 

Came with Oil City Pickups!!

Riot Act / Beano - outstanding pickups. 
  • SiejenSiejen Frets: 36
    Blackbird / SYD+ for me. Wouldn’t have speced anything less. 
    tFB Trader
    I'm trying to work out If I can big myself up for my own pickups I've made for myself ... 
    Hey ... I'm a nice guy and I treated myself well ... 
    I was super chuffed with the 7 string Neo X Breeds I fitted to my Ibanez 7 string. I mean I make 7 string pickups for lots of folks ... but I don't normally spec 'star' models just for me. No time!
    With my 7 I went mad, and did maximum clarity and bass tightness ... and my god I got it. I did fuck up however ... I thought I'd need coil split resistors ... and to be honest they are superfluous.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • How about answering the super important questions that are on everybodies minds? Namely:

1, Did the pickups come in a super cool case, that is also super usable and durable - like a super cool custom sized lifton case for example?

2, Did the pickups come with super cool branded case candy?
    tFB Trader
    How about answering the super important questions that are on everybodies minds? Namely:

1, Did the pickups come in a super cool case, that is also super usable and durable - like a super cool custom sized lifton case for example?

Actually the opposite with my pickups ... a recycled and recyclable cardboard box, with a paper oil city label, no foam or other plastic used except a tiny bag for the mounting screws ... everything else is tissue packing so can go in the recycling. I spend money on developing good pickups, not giving away 'free' picks or strings or beer mats or any of that bollocks.  Or putting pickups in miniature wooden crates with tiny crow bar supplied to open them,  Not that anyone would do that would they? :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 14
    How about answering the super important questions that are on everybodies minds? Namely:

Actually the opposite with my pickups ... a recycled and recyclable cardboard box, with a paper oil city label, no foam or other plastic used except a tiny bag for the mounting screws ... everything else is tissue packing so can go in the recycling. I spend money on developing good pickups, not giving away 'free' picks or strings or beer mats or any of that bollocks.  Or putting pickups in miniature wooden crates with tiny crow bar supplied to open them,  Not that anyone would do that would they? :-)
    It’s rumoured that the next “ultimate” PAFs from Gibson will come nestled on a bed of Cesar Guekian’s chest hair and with a bong for smoking it.