SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD 3x 1985 Tokai Love Rocks - £800 each

What's Hot
prismrock2003prismrock2003 Frets: 37
edited February 5 in Guitars £
Hello,

I have been thinking about this over the past few weeks after reading a number of threads on the forum about how many guitars people have owned and currently have and It got me thinking about what gear i have, how under used it really is and if it would be better with someone who is actually going to use it.

For context, I currently have 10x electric guitars, an acoustic (also will for sale) and a bass. 7x of the electrics are single cut LP types, 5x of which are Tokai's. Over the Xmas period I had a couple of weeks off work were I hoped i would have a chance to play these as much as possible and justify (to myself) keeping them. This never happened. So I've decided to have a small cul.

So, I have for sale 3x Tokai Love Rocks, all from 1985. A white LC-60, and two goldtops, a LS-50 and a LS-60. Each of them are £800 delivered and will come with a hard case. Their condition is why each of them is £800 even though they are various models. I have one Gator Journeyman hard case and I've ordered two new TGI ones, which should be delivered today.

Pictures below are the cases for reference

TGI Hard Cases stock photo

Right now on to the guitars 

First up is a Goldtop LS-50. This guitar is in fantastic condition for 39 years old with very little wear at all. There are a few marks on that i have tried to take photos of. As far as i can tell everything is original. It has a set of zebra Tokai '57 paf pickups which are very nice and I would say its more of a 59 profile neck compared to the other LS-60 goldtop. Its a really nice guitar, not much else to say.

LS-50 - SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

Weight : 8.4 Pounds
Nut Width : 43.8mm
12th Fret Width : 52.0mm
1st Fret Depth : 22.4mm
12th Fret Depth : 25.2mm

Second is a White LC-60. The guitar has had a bit of a life. I bought it in October from Richtone Music. I don't know why as i already have another White LC-60 from 1985 that I plan on keeping. Some of the parts that aren't original are the set of locking Grovers, the pickguard, knobs and I think the pickups have been replaced. I'm not sure if they have but there are no markings on them and I'm almost certain that they are in the wrong way around ie neck in bridge position and bridge in neck looking at the string spacing. It has some buckle worming, and a various number of chips and dings. Some of which have been filled in with white pain that hasn't aged to a slight off white/cream colour like the rest of the paint. Also at some point it has had a bigsby on it as there are some filled in holes at the strap button. Also the new Grovers have caused some cracking to the screw holes on the headstock but it looks like the finish only as they are solid.

LC-60 - SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

Weight : 7.4 Pounds (Without pickups/tail piece/bridge, have been removed to swap pickups around)
Nut Width : 43.4mm
12th Fret Width : 52.5mm
1st Fret Depth : 21.0mm
12th Fret Depth : 24.3mm

Lastly is a Goldtop LS-60. The model number sticker from the back of the headstock has been removed so I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure this is a 60 as it has a two piece top and two piece back, and slimer 60s neck profile.Condition wise is good, with some wear here and there. The worst of which is some finish on the front and a the bottom of the guitar on the back. I have replaced the pickup rings with Hosco ones as the old ones had cracked. The reason why this is £800 is the pickups that are in it now. They aren't anything fancy. The neck is a Toltec Pickup with an Alnico II magnet and the bridge is a IronGear Dirty Torque. When I bought the guitar it came with DiMarzio PAF Classics DP194 and DP195. I didn't like those at all.

LS-60 - SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

Weight : 10.0 Pounds
Nut Width : 43.0mm
12th Fret Width : 52.4mm
1st Fret Depth : 21.2mm
12th Fret Depth : 23.2

I have also replaced the pickups in the LS-60 with the Old Timer '1959 PAF' humbuckers with raw nickel covers Bridge is 8k and neck 7k. 

New Alegree Pickups

Let me know what you think. I know I'm going to regret selling these. Especially the godtops

Cheers

Michael
0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4343
    What wonderful guitars , good luck with the sale 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1305
    Lovely guitars and a great post - good luck with them.
  • variplexivariplexi Frets: 110
    These 80s Tokais are great guitars and the stock pickups are often under rated. I have a '85 SG which rocks and is a keeper! 
  • What wonderful guitars , good luck with the sale 
    steven70 said:
    Lovely guitars and a great post - good luck with them.
    variplexi said:
    These 80s Tokais are great guitars and the stock pickups are often under rated. I have a '85 SG which rocks and is a keeper! 
    Thanks everyone, they are a great guitars. Luckily I will be keeping another 2x 80s Tokais and one Greco so i cant be too upset.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 88
    Excise my ignorance… are these all Japanese made??
  • 4on6 said:
    Excise my ignorance… are these all Japanese made??
    Yeah sorry i should have said. They are all Made In Japan. Pre 2004 ish wont have the Made in Japan stamp on the back of the headstock
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 297
    Nice! What's the neck profile like on the gold top you've pictured first? Is it very chunky?
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 63
    They poly or nitro finish?
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3338
    MikeP said:
    Op will be able to confirm, but 99% certain these models will be a poly finish. 
  • KevSKevS Frets: 513
    What weights are they..?
  • KevSKevS Frets: 513
    Just bought another Guild,so feel free to ignore my request..
  • Clecko said:
    Nice! What's the neck profile like on the gold top you've pictured first? Is it very chunky?

It's not too bad. I'd say 59 ish. I can get measurements later for each of them. 

MikeP said:
    Op will be able to confirm, but 99% certain these models will be a poly finish. 
    Aye I'd agree I'm 99% sure that they are poly. Ls-80 and up would be nitro

KevS said:
    What weights are they..?
    Ah good question. Again I'll get these this evening for each of them 

Cheers

Michael 
    Very keen to get the weight and neck measurements when you have chance!
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 162
    These look cool, good luck!
  • bwets said:
    These look cool, good luck!
    Thank you

Clecko said:
    Very keen to get the weight and neck measurements when you have chance!
    Sorry about the delay. I was able to get them weight and neck measurements today. Ill pop them below and update the descriptions. I have also replaced the pickups in the LS-60 with the Old Timer '1959 PAF' humbuckers with covers and will swap the pickups around on the LC-60 this evening, so pickups are out already. 

LS-50

Weight : 8.4 Pounds
    Nut Width : 43.8mm
    12th Fret Width : 52.0mm
    1st Fret Depth : 22.4mm
    12th Fret Depth : 25.2mm

LS-60

Weight : 10.0 Pounds
    Nut Width : 43.0mm
    12th Fret Width : 52.4mm
    1st Fret Depth : 21.2mm
    12th Fret Depth : 23.2

LC-60

Weight : 7.4 Pounds (Without pickups/tail piece/bridge)
    Nut Width : 43.4mm
    12th Fret Width : 52.5mm
    1st Fret Depth : 21.0mm
    12th Fret Depth : 24.3mm

Cheers

Michael
    Thanks a lot mate. With the LS50 goldtop, do you have any pickup covers? Also, and I appreciate this is subjective and difficult to answer, but how does the neck feel in the hand?
  • Clecko said:
    Thanks a lot mate. With the LS50 goldtop, do you have any pickup covers? Also, and I appreciate this is subjective and difficult to answer, but how does the neck feel in the hand?
    I might have some. It never came with them from the factory but I'll have a look if I have any that fit. Neck wise it's actually quite a nice handful. It's not massive and I don't have big hands or anything but it's very comfortable. 

Cheers

Michael