4x12 with original g12h30s

billandobillando Frets: 33
Ive had an old 1982 model 4x12 marshall cab with old g12h30s for years. Its too big and heavy to take to our relatively small gigs i always use combos these days, dont really want the hassle of wrapping and shipping it and although its been on gumtree nobody seems to want to come and collect it. Got me thinking if i should remove the speakers and put them in some of my combos...anybody more in the know please chime in with the following

Wem dominator mk3. Currently has an unknown speaker. Sounds ok but would maybe benefit?

Marshall lead and bass 50w combo. I discussed this amp on a previous post. ICBM said the current model of g1265s i have would make it a bit muffled.

Jmp 2104 50w master volume. This has old g1265s i just dont seem to bond with them they seem too "nice" for my ears.

Jcm 900 100w combo. Currently has g12t75s.

Any opinions appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7888
    Absolutely do this
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73030
    billando said:

Wem dominator mk3. Currently has an unknown speaker. Sounds ok but would maybe benefit?
    Yes.

billando said:

Marshall lead and bass 50w combo.
    Yes, definitely.

billando said:

Jmp 2104 50w master volume. This has old g1265s i just dont seem to bond with them they seem too "nice" for my ears.
    Yes, but again check the codes on the 65s.

billando said:

Jcm 900 100w combo. Currently has g12t75s.
    No - they don't have enough power rating, and probably wont sound as 'right' for the 90s sound anyway.

If you have four I would put them in the two 50W combos, personally - though be aware that they will make the amps slightly but noticeably even heavier...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• billandobillando Frets: 33
    Thanks for that. I suppose it would be best to play the amps through the 4x12 to get an idea how they would sound. 
    billando said:
    Thanks for that. I suppose it would be best to play the amps through the 4x12 to get an idea how they would sound. 
    Yes - best to try it with the back off or you'll get an exaggerated idea of how much bass they would have in the combos.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited January 13
    Ok so complete change of direction here i noticed an orangd ad140 twin channel head
    Wrote a big story but it never posted...raging. long story short got the 140w orange so will have to keep the cab
    120w cab be ok? I do have a 1960a from the 80s with g12t75s but that wont be the right sound will it?
    I have a 2x12 cab...if i was to get 2 speakers for these to handle the 140w power and also do the amp justice what would be good options?
    edited January 13
    billando said:
    I have a 2x12 cab...if i was to get 2 speakers for these to handle the 140w power and also do the amp justice what would be good options?
    Creamback G12H-75s or Classic Lead 80s.

Creambacks a bit more ‘vintage’ sounding, CLs a bit more ‘modern’.

Ok thats good i have a jcm 800 combo with those speakers i can use that cab. I also have a closed back 2x12 with classic lead 80s they would handle it. Would that be a good match you think?
    billando said:
    Ok thats good i have a jcm 800 combo with those speakers i can use that cab. I also have a closed back 2x12 with classic lead 80s they would handle it. Would that be a good match you think?
    Yes - Oranges sound best with G12H-30s to me, but if you need to handle more power the G12H-75 and CL-80 are the closest.