Original Inspiration

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1954
edited January 13 in Bass
Got to see my original inspiration last night...

https://i.imgur.com/dVyuY7s.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wQvQIdh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kNqpnCh.jpg
...And he threw his wristband to my dad and I, which was a wonderful moment.

When I was a kid, I had the 'Piece of Mind' album and Thin Lizzy's 'Black Rose' cassette tapes, which made me want to play bass.

WASP's 'Crimson Idol' and Big Country's 'The Buffalo Skinners' made me pick up the guitar too.

I don't listen to Steve (or Phil) much any more, because Jack Bruce and Chris Squire just took it that little bit further, but it was incredible and exhausting to watch him in action.

British Lion as a band are incredibly polished live, but the dynamics came through in a way that the albums just can't capture (modern technology). I'd thoroughly recommend the gig if you get the chance to see them.

https://imgur.com/1NYwJEd

So who made you pick up the bass?
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2981
    Richard Sinclair / Hugh Hopper.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 686
    edited January 13
    Mani.

And flea. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14515
    Levin, McCartney, Jamerson, Karn, Adamson, Weymouth, O'Hearn.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited January 13
    Who made me play bass in the first place? Lancaster

Whose bass playing do I enjoy listening to most? Rutherford

Who do I most want to sound like? Karn or Palladino
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24469
    Harris, Deacon, Burton, Sheehan. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1954
    edited January 18
    blobb said:
    Intrigued as to how you came across these two in yer youff...? (If you're not still in yer youff).
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    Probably John Taylor first then Duff
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14515
    Schnozz said:
    blobb said:
    Intrigued as to how you came across these two in yer youff...? (If you're not still in yer youff).
    My version of how.

In 1977, my father purchased the Soft Machine three-disc retrospective compilation titled Triple Echo. The packaging included a booklet. The centre pages of this featured a Pete Frame "family tree" diagram to explain who had been in the successive Softs line-ups, what bands they were in before and what they went on to do after they left (or burnt themselves out or were sacked).

Needless to say Hopper and Sinclair are named several times in the "tree". 

Back in the day, bands like Hatfield And The North got to appear on television programmes such as Rock Goes To College.

I was fifteen at the time. I can not pretend that I "got" all of the music but I gave it a fair listen. 

One of my school contemporaries was a Hillage fan. See the name in the Frame diagram. Another cross-reference. (I didn't "get" some of the Hillage music either.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Schnozz said:
    blobb said:

Well, the question was who inspired you to pick up bass. Mr Sinclair did that via Caravan, probably early 90's. We found they still had a following and played a one off gig every year at the Park Hotel, Diss (near where the fan club organiser lived). So we traipsed off to Diss. Richard wasn't with them But Dave was (and his Hammond). but I saw Richard with them at a festival in Canterbury. Hugh I never got to see but I remember Soft Machine from some earlier exposure via radio.

All of these seeds really came to the fore when I met someone who had an encyclopedic knowledge of good music. And this was the direction they took me in, and they were right!

Well, I shall be listening to some Sinclair, Hopper and Karn soon.
    Richard is simply the most accomplished bass player of the Canterbury scene (and they were all about complexity). The stuff he played with Hatfield is astonishing, they did two albums, both all time classics. But he does something else as well. He writes beautiful songs, which he sings with his beautiful canterbury choirboy voice. Words are not so important as the musical phrasing so a lot of the time you will hear him make stuff up or it can look like he forgot the words. But he hasn't. 

He lives in Italy now, and it hasn't taken him long to join up with anyone who wants to play music. You will find various clips of him guesting with local groups. Here's a lovely one of him with a band called Zenith, performing a real rarity. A RS song called Frozen Rose - which was originally meant for the most iconic of Canterbury albums: Land of Grey and Pink but didn't make the cut. LoG&P is a tour de force of the Sinclair cousins (Rich & 'cousin Dave', the greatest keyboard player of them all).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    Paul McCartney, Roger Glover and John Taylor.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    JJ Burnel and Lemmy. 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2288
    I picked up bass because the bass player in my band was a much better guitarist than I was, so we swapped!

(And I saw British Lion at Brighton last year - great gig! Small venue, up close to the players, two great support bands, and about £20 a ticket! What's not to like?)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Nobody, musician or album, triggered my decision to try bass, I became intrigued enough to see what a bass brought to our band and it went from there…
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1431
    Bootsy, Duff, Novoselic, Harris, Bruce, McCartney, then Jamerson and Duck. (In that order)

That's quite the list!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    I managed to get Bruce and Squire before they passed...

https://i.imgur.com/d1zzDsz.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/h1Y5txK.jpg

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Chris Squire made me pick up the bass, and that's why I also picked up a Rickenbacker.

I play a Jazz Bass now though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    proggy said:
    Chris Squire made me pick up the bass, and that's why I also picked up a Rickenbacker.
    All three of my influences above played Rickenbackers... although John Taylor only in the Planet Earth video, he didn't actually use it on the record. I'm not sure if that's why I was initially attracted to them, but I've found that they fit me better than any other bass with the possible exception of the Aria SBs which Taylor also played - which is actually quite surprising since he's a lot taller than me, and that seems to be one of the main factors in whether I'm comfortable with an instrument.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein