Nice little moment recording with my Tweed clone

What's Hot
Yesterday I was laying down some overdubs to an album I've been producing for my band. The songs are pretty fleshed out now, so I wanted more character to contrast the main guitar parts, mostly recorded through my AC30. Enter stage left the little Tweed amp I built a year ago. I've not used it loads - a jam here and there, a full band gig where I thought it was too shouty/ compressed and a stripped back guitar and vocal only gig where it felt sublime.

It's a strange circuit, the 5e3. Middy, thumpy overblown bass to the point of madness, low headroom but too loud for home use, growly and gnarly when they break up, it feels like there aren't loads of situations where they fit the bill unless that's the exact and only sound you go for. But recording overdubs, where you can set the controls for tone without worrying about volume, and then frame the result however you like in the context of the mix... they can be magical.

I've tried some different speakers in the 5e3, I *almost* love the Jensen C12n but it's just not loud enough for band stuff. I also almost loved the Pulsonic coned Celestion Silver I tried but it was just a little too smooth. I keep going back to a '63 Celestion Blue that was reconed some time in the late '90s, it's got the Celestion alnico krrrang, volume, but a little more snarl on top.

And I had a moment yesterday while I was riding a semi hollow guitar into it through a distortion pedal, just riding the acoustic feedback and letting chords and harmonics ring out, when I realised I was using a Ross comp & Rat clone I built into an amp I built, miked up with a U87 clone I built. And it was all working and getting musical results into the DAW. Felt pretty pleased with myself.

Now, at some point I do need to sort out the tolex which is coming off...

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20606
    I wouldn't use those block multi-mains adapters. They tend to lean away from the wall when laden with plugs & this can result in the earth becoming detached. Easy to overload the circuit if they are used with fan heaters too  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 1109
    So where are the sound clips, or did I read all that for nothing?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    I wouldn't use those block multi-mains adapters. They tend to lean away from the wall when laden with plugs & this can result in the earth becoming detached. Easy to overload the circuit if they are used with fan heaters too  ;)
    They aren't used with fan heaters, and it's not my house pictured.  ;)
    edited January 26
    relic245 said:
    Nobody replied for 11 days, so I let the thread die. 

I did put some clips up in this thread;

https://thegearforum.com/threads/nice-little-moment-recording-with-my-tweed-clone.4291/#post-168366

It's a cool forum, I'm finding it better for conversations about music making than this place has become.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cirrus said:
    They aren't used with fan heaters, and it's not my house pictured.  ;)
    Aaah, sorry, my psychic vision was clouded .
    So what is the point of the photo? :-D
    What do you mean?
    Cirrus said:
    What do you mean?
    As I said, I just wondered what was the point of the gear photo if it was not your house?
    I can't work out your point since I assume you're not actually against people using and talking pictures of their gear in other people's houses where they don't necessarily have control over the plug configuration. I think my taking a photo of the scene described in the text is pretty self explanatory. So since I don't really know what you're trying to do shall we just let this go?
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 1109
    Cirrus said:
    relic245 said:
    Nobody replied for 11 days, so I let the thread die. 

I did put some clips up in this thread;

https://thegearforum.com/threads/nice-little-moment-recording-with-my-tweed-clone.4291/#post-168366

It's a cool forum, I'm finding it better for conversations about music making than this place has become.
    Sounds lovely.

My impression is that the amp is pretty loud but you're just stroking the strings.

Sounds like if you hit it hard the amo would almost go into meltdown.

I can imagine it's a lot of fun playing through that rig...

• I followed the link and listened to the clips...sounds great...want more!

Bung the clips on here and move it to 'Making Music' (?)