An Introduction to Jazz

What's Hot
guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1882
Where would I go to find this? We are talking beginner level and the chords which are often used and the basic ideas behind them. 
I've been watching some youtube stuff with Jimmy Bruno,who is some player and it has piqued a little bit of my interest. I really enjoy his 'rough round the edges' personality but feel he can be a bit of a Jazz Snob at times. It also seems the lads and lasses involved in Jazz appear to be the most musically educated too.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    http://www.jazzguitar.be ;

The lessons on there are excellent - and free. The forums on there are also very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7219
    Im pretty sure Ive still got the Jimmy Bruno intro to jazz guitar DVD course if you want to borrow it @guitarjack66 . If so PM your address and I'll stick it in the post later when Ive found it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 465
    smigeon said:
    http://www.jazzguitar.be ;

The lessons on there are excellent - and free. The forums on there are also very good.
    Agreed - lots of good resources there.  Personally, I rather like a book for the structure.  I enjoyed the books by Jody Fisher as a good place to get going. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3049
    There's everything you need to know here:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    There's everything you need to know here:

Just awesome 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    edited January 16
    My answer would be Frank Vignola's courses on Truefire, He has a nice laidback approach. He has loads of courses there, starting with the basics of Jazz. He's also someone to recognises the importance of Blues in Jazz, and incorporates it in his own playing of examples.

The only hazard is that Truefire can become addictive!!
    Also be aware that Truefire frequently have courses at discounted prices, so, if your lucky, you can buy course(s) more cheaply.

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Emily Remler's videos are still very good, accessible and not condescending...

Some very easy concepts you can use quickly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1882
    Thank you @Smidgeon and especially @DrCornelius for an unbelievably generous offer. The True Fire courses @ArchtopDave mentioned are an excellent idea. I really need to take up the offers they send. I will also watch that video posted when able to get on to a laptop as videos on my phone dont play too well on a small screen. My eyes might contribute a bit to that though.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    The old Mickey Baker book is good, if a bit trust-me-I'm-a-doctor in approach. (He's training your ear) Some of the chord shapes are bastids, and I discovered later on Jimmy Brunos reductionist approach with 3 fingered basic root/3/5 or 7.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Power_FreakPower_Freak Frets: 199
    I'd describe Bruno as being quite far away from a jazz snob - at least compared to others.

Before deciding on where to start you should hone in on what you want to do, jazz is pretty broad and you could get 100 different (valid) answers.

Perhaps the most crucial part is to REALLY listen to jazz first, if you've not spent the time it'll be very hard to play. 

If you want just small snippets of ideas you can check out the Jens Larsen youtube channel. He tends to fall towards the Barry Harris approach most of the time (at least the videos that come up on my feed).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited January 16

Perhaps the most crucial part is to REALLY listen to jazz first, if you've not spent the time it'll be very hard to play. 

This is by far the most important part.

Jazz uses the same musical material as everything else, so - learn major scales in multiple positions and practice chords using the cycle of 5ths/4ths.  That's a good start.  Learn the diatonic scale in 7th chords, here -

Or try one of these -

Then learn the melodies, which is what I stupidly did not do years ago and am doing now..
  • DonnyMacDonnyMac Frets: 44
    Not a course, but I'd highly recommend Ted Gioia's book 'How to Listen to Jazz' . He describes the history of jazz, the different styles and sub-genres, key musicians, and the elements that make jazz what it is. It really is a great read and some kind soul has even compiled a 500 odd song playlist on Spotify to go along with it so it'll give you plenty of listening. 
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    edited January 16
    Emily Remler's videos are still very good, accessible and not condescending...

Some very easy concepts you can use quickly.
    Emily has been my Favourite Guitarist for a very long time.

A couple of years ago, I was delighted to come across a 1967 Gibson 330 (in extremely good nick) which had had the P90's  removed and replaced with Gibson T-Top Humbuckers, and which was modestly priced. This is as near as I have seen something near the guitar that she most commonly used.

Whilst I agree her videos are very approachable (needless to say I bought them a long time back when videos were videos, along with the majority of her CD's).

I find Frank Vignola's Truefire Courses very enjoyable, and find his style very approachable. Truefire, and Frank, have done well out of my purchases alone.

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1882
    I'd describe Bruno as being quite far away from a jazz snob - at least compared to others.

Before deciding on where to start you should hone in on what you want to do, jazz is pretty broad and you could get 100 different (valid) answers.

If you want just small snippets of ideas you can check out the Jens Larsen youtube channel. He tends to fall towards the Barry Harris approach most of the time (at least the videos that come up on my feed).
    I follow Jens channel as I find him both an interesting watch and a seemingly good teacher. I like his laid back approach.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    DonnyMac said:
    I'd highly recommend Ted Gioia's book 'How to Listen to Jazz'. 
    Thanks for that. I looked at his books and bought his The History of Jazz. Without you I would not have known about him.
  • Has anyone here studied the Barry Harris approach? 

I’d love to be able to play jazz, and do work on it from time to time. I’m currently trying the YouTube channel: Things I Learned From Barry Harris.

It’s a lifetime of study that’s for sure.
    @Littlejonny currently going thro the Alan Kingstone book which is pretty decent. He’s was a guitar student of Barry’s so it’s been distilled with a guitar in mind.  TIL is a great resource tho - its definitely a lifetime of study but great to have some kind of framework to work from
  • joeW said:
    @Littlejonny currently going thro the Alan Kingstone book which is pretty decent. He’s was a guitar student of Barry’s so it’s been distilled with a guitar in mind.  TIL is a great resource tho - its definitely a lifetime of study but great to have some kind of framework to work from
    Ooh thanks - I will buy that book.
  • joeW said:
    Ooh thanks - I will buy that book.
    I just downloaded it...oof! That's some difficult to understand stuff. I'm not sure I'm clever enough!
  • BradBrad Frets: 662
    edited February 25
    @joeW I’ll certainly be checking that book out, nice one!

@Littlejonny I’ve been properly looking into the Barry Harris method for the past month or so, transcribed loads of the Chris Parks/TILFBH stuff, it’s a very good approach. 

With that being said, it can be hard to know where to start, particularly as Chris Parks races through the info. I think there are certain foundations one needs to get in the fingers and then everything begins to fall into place. I’d start with the major scale doing the following:

Scale up and down

Scale in 3rds up and down

Scale in triads up and down

Scale in chords (Barry language for 7th Arps) up and down

Add a half step below all of the above

Pivots

Barry’s chromatic scale 

In 3rds

Triads

Chords

All of that descending. 

Then all of the above for a Dominant scale. 

That’s certainly a lot of work, but will definitely lay the foundations for taking on the Barry Harris approach with more confidence as a lot of it, is knitting together these things. What I’ll say though, if you want to learn Jazz it’s not something you can really “do from time to time”. You do have to throw yourself in and get your hands dirty if you want to make progress smile

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom