SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

PRS S2 McCarty, Pink Special - sold

What's Hot
dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5924
edited February 10 in Guitars £
No, not a new firm of delightful accountants but glorious goodies for your delectation. Some of these have been in old threads, a fresh page seemed the least messy way but please correct me admins if not. 

In an attempt to try and hang on to my Maybach LP, pretty much everything else is up for grabs now. I don’t really have any packing stuff right now, so I’m looking for collection or meet up on these. Trades are not exactly ideal but I’m stupid and easily tempted by shiny things, so……. 

Up first

PRS S2 McCarty in limited edition all over pink - £850 £700 Please see little dink post on page 2

There isn’t too much to say about this one, it’s mostly quite obvious. It’s a PRS made in the good of’ US of A but don’t hold that against it, it’s as meticulously perfect as its Korean cousins. I believe the run on these was 100 copies, so it’s as rare as it’s absolutely beautiful. I’ve had two PRS guitars over the last year and what I’ve learnt is that I really like how they play and feel but I’m nearer going to be a fan of this style of HB pick-up. If it doesn’t seem before the current cash flow hole passes, it’ll be getting a set of Mojo Goldfoils. I haven’t weighed it but it’s definitely a light weight, best guess would be low to mid 7s and it comes with a sturdy PRS gig bag. 

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5924
    edited February 3
    Number two is a Vox Bobcat S66 with Bigsby £420 £390 Sold

A brilliantly odd mix of features and inspirations here. A 335 style body and layout, with some slightly hot Stratish pickups and a Bigsby for good measure. Because a Bigsby makes EVERYTHING better.

It's Korean made, so the quality and attention to detail are superb, in fact it just edged my PRS SE Semi Hollow on the quality scale. It plays fabulously well and the switching is setup so you get a standard three way operation with the neck and bridge and the middle can be dialled in anywhere to whatever level you like. The equivalent of the strat 2 and 4 positions are surprisingly Straty but the guitar still has a great semi hollow vibe. I find it interesting because despite having bits of 335 and bits of Strat(ish)ness, it very much has its own identity and that’s firmly in the repro vintage vibe. Also, how beautiful is the wood and finish!

The main spec list is.....

Maple Ply Body
    Weight Relived Spruce Centerblock
    Mahogany Neck
    Ebony Board
    Grover Tuners
    Vox S66 Pickups (recreation of the 60s design)
    About 7 1/2lbs

The case is good quality and properly fitted. And as if it's not gorgeous and tempting enough..Open Geared Tuners!!  3 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 17
    On Hold…. Supro White Holiday - £400

The blurb say this about the guitar 

“ The White Holiday is a reproduction of the piezo- and vibrato bar-equipped fiberglass Supro electric guitar that was first manufactured in the early 1960s. The White Holiday reissue mates a chambered Mahogany back with a newly-developed, composite “Acousti-glass” top. This updated construction preserves the instrument’s Art Deco aesthetics as well as the signature blend of piezo and magnetic pickups, while improving its semi-hollow acoustic resonance and tuning stability.

The White Holiday’s vintage-correct tuners, vibrato bar and adjustable, piezo-equipped rosewood bridge are joined by a faithful replica of the legendary Vistatone pickup to bring you a fully realized and worthy reissue of this classic Supro guitar. The Vistatone pickup found in the Supro White Holiday is a reproduction of the groundbreaking, single coil design developed for Valco by Ralph Keller in the early 1950s. The Vistatone pickup is cited as prior art in Seth Lover’s PAF patent and is found in many of the most desirable vintage Supro models.

The Supro White Holiday is acoustically loud—and this voice translates through the bridge-mounted piezo pickup, which can be used independently or blended with the magnetic Vistatone pickup. Our semi-hollow recipe of an Acousti-glass top and mahogany body retains the unique sonic characteristics of the original piezo-equipped Supro White Holiday guitar while providing today’s musicians with a lightweight, highly playable instrument that stays in tune and is easy to maintain.

The White Holiday guitar and its relatives in the Americana Series of Supro electric guitars were designed by Trevor Wilkinson and David Koltai to capture the spirit and sound of the Art Deco-influenced, historic line of Supro instruments.

Supro 1571VDW White Holiday Americana - White Dawn Specifcations: 

• Colour: Dawn White
    • Body: Vintage Supro body design with 'Acousti-Glass' top
    • Back: Semi-hollow mahogany
    • Neck: Mahogany with re-designed two-bolt neck joint
    • Bridge: Rosewood bridge with piezo pickup
    • Vibrato: Vibrato tailpiece
    • Pickups: Vintage-correct Vistatone pickup
    • Controls: 
      -Independent volumes for each pickup 
      -Master volume 
      -Master tone knobs 3-way switch for Vistatone, piezo or blended”
    The important things you really need to know are, the Vistatone pickup is an incredible recreation of the original 50s model. It’s bright and LoFi, sparkles and loves grit and hits the nail square on the head. Will remind you why big single coils has always been where the goodness is. The trem is the softest and most fluttery you’ll ever play, the neck is a nice round chunk and the construction is original enough to have all the feel while modern enough that it actually work and feels great. 

The piezo is a nice pickup too BUT there is no onboard preamp and just the single output. So while there is a knob for blending the two pickups, in reality you can’t. It’s more two guitars in one. Unless you want to get into some serious modding. 

In great condition with no more than a few scuffs from years of play and it’s starting to yellow nicely, like its vintage cousins. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 24
    Lastly a Squier 40th Anniversary J Bass - £170

A gorgeous J Bass, silky satin neck, rolled edges, wearing a fancy set of flats and ready to rumble. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2045
    Wonderful photography <3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13053
    Nice pics, you and I have very similar taste in guitars! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 233
    Lovely guitars, and ace photos!

I can't justify anything new :pensive: 

What do you use for the black background? A black sheet? Are you using light boxes for light,?  Looks too smooth to be an onboard flash?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8158
    Darren has fab taste in guitars.
    Tall_martin said:……..

What do you use for the black background? A black sheet? Are you using light boxes for light,?  Looks too smooth to be an onboard flash?
    I was actually pretty lazy this time. It’s a bit of black rag hung on the curtain pole, daylight and one constant fill light off to camera left. It’s mostly the processing that tidies up the rough edges. 

Thank you all for the kind comments. :)
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7362
    That Supro looks like a whole lotta fun
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3112
    edited January 17
    As a lover of unusual guitars that Supro is right up my alley, unfortunately Ive just (yesterday) spunked my spare readies on something else unusual AND I’m several miles and a ferry trip away….bugger!

Ill save the post just in case…..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8158
    paulnb57 said:
    As a lover of unusual guitars that Supro is right up my alley, unfortunately Ive just (yesterday) spunked my spare readies on something else unusual AND I’m several miles and a ferry trip away….bugger!

I owned that Supro for a while, and @dazzajl managed to pry it off me. It’s honestly a fantastic guitar. I had a Belmont a few years ago which I adored, this is the same, but with a few more belles and whistles. 

Vastly underrated guitar these. 

I’d buy it back in a heartbeat, but need to sell some of my gear first. 

Ho hum…
    TheMarlin said:
    paulnb57 said:

I owned that Supro for a while, and @dazzajl managed to pry it off me. It’s honestly a fantastic guitar. I had a Belmont a few years ago which I adored, this is the same, but with a few more belles and whistles. 

Vastly underrated guitar these. 

I’d buy it back in a heartbeat, but need to sell some of my gear first. 

Ho hum…
    Happy to set it to one side for you until we concoct some kind of convoluted trade/sale/swap
    dazzajl said:
    Happy to set it to one side for you until we concoct some kind of convoluted trade/sale/swap
    Hmmm, there a good chance the guitar I earlier spunked my readies on will go back….so we may be able to come to some arrangement, I couldnt expect you to reserve it for me, but once my situation changes Ill check back,,, thanks for the offer!…
    I already have a Supro Ozark and would like another Sup…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 ……..

I know. That was from me too. :)

This one is very different but just as much fun. 

I’m sorry that gorgeous Fender hasn’t worked out. That’s a rare thing. 
    dazzajl said:
    paulnb57 ……..

I know. That was from me too. :)

This one is very different but just as much fun. 

I’m sorry that gorgeous Fender hasn’t worked out. That’s a rare thing. 
    Im getting old, I forgot who I got it from…..I took it (the Ozark) to a (proposed) band meet up the other night and through an EVH LBX and a couple of Orange 1x12’s …. it was fabulous…

paulnb57 said:

Im getting old, I forgot who I got it from…..
    It’s a thing, I had to check back  3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12461
    I had the Supro Black Holiday which I regret selling, those Vistatone pickups are the best I've ever heard.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Saturday bump. 
    Form a disorderly queue….
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2395
    I have had the pleasure of playing the PRS and the Vox this very day, and can confirm that they both play beautifully - in this respect neither would hold you back from rock godhood.