Cheap Rangemaster Treble Boost

What's Hot
rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 29
edited January 16 in FX
I'm interested in dipping my toe into the Treble Booster world without falling down a rabbit hole. Therefore I don't want to go after the crown jewels here, I'd like to get a relatively cheap one to try and see if I actually like them.

Any suggestions for a cheap one to get me into this area?

I saw another thread suggesting Websmurfer on eBay and a couple others.

- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276282705353?hash=item4053bb85c9:g:qOUAAOSw9AFlotcv
 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/camelfish?_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l2559

Or I was thinking of a BMF GB Boost used is in the similar price range.

I also saw a recent Dave Simpson video where he was playing several Hub Cap John pedals - he has a nice few Rangemaster clones and Beano Boost.

Any other suggestions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ive got a one off Tatefx one point to point wiring with best of the best components for sale on the classifieds up for £65 if your interested. That said i always had alot of success with the EHX LPB-1 as well for that kind of thing. can usually find them pretty cheap.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    @soma1975 has a good cheap one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    Camelfish on Ebay knocks them out of the park with brilliantly made germanium ones for under £60.

That's what mine is and it replaced a dedicated overdrive pedal on my board. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    I'm interested in dipping my toe into the Treble Booster world without falling down a rabbit hole. Therefore I don't want to go after the crown jewels here, I'd like to get a relatively cheap one to try and see if I actually like them.
    I got a websmurfer one for that exact same reason. I've never tried an original or even any of the expensive clones, but it sounds good to my ears...
  • ColsCols Frets: 7007
    soma1975 said:
    Camelfish on Ebay knocks them out of the park with brilliantly made germanium ones for under £60.

I was about to chip in with a suggestion to build one yourself - they’re a very straightforward circuit and there’s several decent kits out there on the market - but the Camelfish ones look bloody excellent.

Rather than putting them in front of a clean amp like a regular OD, treble boosters work best into an already overdriven valve amp, using the guitar’s volume control to roll back to shimmering cleans.  It’s a kind of magic.
    Cols said:
    soma1975 said:

I was about to chip in with a suggestion to build one yourself - they’re a very straightforward circuit and there’s several decent kits out there on the market - but the Camelfish ones look bloody excellent.

Rather than putting them in front of a clean amp like a regular OD, treble boosters work best into an already overdriven valve amp, using the guitar’s volume control to roll back to shimmering cleans.  It’s a kind of magic.
    Yep I have built a few in my time but his is wonderfully made and such good value for money there is no point. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Thanks guys,
    I did consider building one, but a kit from FuzzDog will be close to £40. Considering Camelfish have them for £60 that's an easy choice.
    Will probably get a Camelfish one as they also include the switch flexibility for different mid/low end performance.

• @soma1975 ;
    Can I just ask if the Camelfish is noisy. Hiss and noise drive me mad, I think Rangemasters are inherently noisy but I don't want something that takes over if that makes sense.

@soma1975 ;
    Can I just ask if the Camelfish is noisy. Hiss and noise drive me mad, I think Rangemasters are inherently noisy but I don't want something that takes over if that makes sense.

Quieter than my old Beano Boost and definitely quieter than my fancypants fuzz face. As you say they are inherently noisy but this has been absolutely fine for me. 

• Alex335Alex335 Frets: 121
    My shout would be a Hudson broadcast, absolutely amazing pedal, I’d suggest the dual version as itll do treble boost, fuzz, od, can’t believe I survived for so long without one on my board! 

I’ve got a fuzz dog strange master clone I built you could have for cheap 

drop me a pm if you’re interested 
  • alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 363
    Dopefx do a Naga viper clone that's readily available on eBay. I've had a few of their pedals and they have always been good.
  • Second hand Naga Viper original? I sold one on here for £75 recently. I’d probably have another if I moved back from multi fx to a pedalboard 
  • Fredric Effects Accomplished badger is incredible, sounds very similar to hudson broadcast (I own both) either can be used as a treble booster, the accomplished badger is a little bit more versatile though.
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    edited February 12
    If you're handy with a soldering iron, Fuzzdog have a few options. 

I've just built the Crimson Cockerel (DAM Red Rooster) and so far it sounds really good. My Hot Snake (Naga Viper) is being used by the other guitarist and is at the rehearsal space so I can't compare yet. From memory I think the Naga is a harder sound, and I prefer the Rooster. Will compare properly this week. 

I've also built the Broadcast and have to respectfully disagree with above opinions. Yes, it can boost whilst cutting bass, but there is more than that happening with the Rangemaster circuit. I like the Broadcast but it's missing a certain honkiness which is inherent to the Rangemaster sound. 
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 94
    Heaby Pedals made me a really good one. Quality build, sounds good. Military spec CV7351 germ transistor. Different capacitor selection from treble to full-range. All for £60 new. Winner. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MCluerMCluer Frets: 33
    Flynn Amps OC44 … excellent in my view 
  • I’ve just bought my old Naga Viper back, because I like it that much…