Opinions on Laney VH100r

What's Hot
One minute I'm looking for a small, low wattage combo perhaps a Fender Princeton RRI, the next I'm going the other way and looking for monster amps.
I've been tempted by the VH100r for years but never been able to get hold of one to try out. They go for good prices used it seems.

I'm one of these players who likes to dabble with clean jazz tones and country tones, but spends most of his time hunting high gain, modern rock/metal tones so this amp seems like a good contender as I hear people comment that it does a good clean, but also great high gain.

Plus it looks versatile, with multiple channels and fx loop etc.

Anybody used/owned one of these or has anything they'd like to say about this beast?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    They're brilliant. Versatile, pseudo 4 channel amp. Definitely try one at least.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Do you have any recommendations on speakers that go with it?
    I have one of those marshall 2x12s I think its a 1936 which I suspect will sound awful with the Laney>..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The T75's in the 1936 cabs are not too bad actually. I used to have one of them and did a few gigs with the VH100R. Good combo, but a little dark so turn the presence up to compensate.

I tend to like V30's for high-gain tones, whatever amp I'm using.
  • Really? Not what I'd expect to hear as most people comment on how bright the VH100 can be.
    I'll give it a try - just talking to a guy who's selling a VH so you never know....might be a NAD coming up, and if I don;t have to buy a new cab then that's a bonus!
    I've owned two of them. They can be quite bright, but you have to crank the treble and presence to get it.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3080
    Stunning amps. I loved mine and stupidly traded it for a VC50 combo as I thought the combo would sound the same in a smaller package, WRONG.

I'd have another if I could afford it and had the room for a half stack. It beat the ENGL Powerball I bought when comparing the two.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    They're baller. A bit noisy though.

I dont think the VCseries has anything to do with the VH. The GH on the other hand are a single channel VH.
    The VC50/VC100 was to sort of be a combo version of the VH100R if I remember right. The VC30 and VC15's were the fender/vox type amps.
  • Cheers for the info guys.
    Just bought me a used VH100r...
    Very excited :-)
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I love vh100r's they're an incredible amp. I love them through t75s, the slight mid scoop balances out some of the Laneys huge bold mids.
  • Well I hope my cab has T75s then. I'm actually not sure what it has in there. Will check tomorrow.
  • Great amps. Also, if your phone's not working, you can use them to talk to people in the next city.
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Great amps. Also, if your phone's not working, you can use them to talk to people in the next city.
    Is that coz they're FUCKING HUGELY LOUD!?!
  • ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    The vh100r sounded different to my gh100l so much so much so the VH got returned for a refund. Godly loud too.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2384
    I always liked the ones I tried. The (new) price has shot up in recent years, though.
  • I love the VH100, great amp - sadly still not got around to replacing mine.  Best combo for me was with Eminence Private Jacks.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Dave_Mc;391111" said:
    I always liked the ones I tried. The (new) price has shot up in recent years, though.
    Yep. I bought mine new in 2007 for just under £600. Now you're looking at £1000

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I toured a vc50 for a long time, they're absolutely incredible amps.
    photo videoshoot004.jpg
    I have one myself. The one I have sounds different to the one I had before. Amazing. I quite like the stock speakers but do wonder how it would sound with V30's or Greenbacks.
  • Stevepage said:
    Dave_Mc;391111" said:
    Yep. I bought mine new in 2007 for just under £600. Now you're looking at £1000

...while the second hand price has done nothing but drop. You can often find them for £300 now (and sometimes even less).
    <space for hire>