Stunning SF Deluxe Reverb on ebay

What's Hot
the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1800
It is nothing to do with me but just spotted this absolutely stunning SF DR on ebay.  The condition is just amazing.  I'd love it but it is bound to get to about 3x my budget I reckon.

Just wow!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    It is amazingly mint, but I'd be concerned about the filter caps in an amp of that age and with such little use...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not something I'd need to worry about as I'd never be able to afford it anyway.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    edited September 2013
    It is an interesting point with paying premium prices for totally original vintage amps - it will cost more to buy one which could suddenly take a nosedive in 'value' if one if those old caps fails, than one in identical condition and with the work already done and paid for, but hence no longer 'original'.

The originality snobs always insist on keeping the original caps 'safe' with the amp too, but I've never heard of anyone paying more for an amp because it has the old caps with it - it's still considered 'non-original'. You'd be stupid to put them back in, anyway!

In fifty years none of this will matter - there just won't be usable amps from the 1960s with their original caps. So do the sensible thing now - pay for cosmetic condition certainly, if you like smart-looking gear... but don't pay over the odds for originality, and don't worry about changing parts if the proper maintenance needs to be done.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've bought an amp from this guy before, no problems if anyone is considering it.
  • thats more minty than a mojito......sorry

:\">
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

I'm not sure what the fuss is about with vintage amps. The historical aspect is fun of course, but I don't have the money to collect stuff on that basis.

If you want a minty DR, myself, and a fair few other guys, can build you a brand new one that will look as good, and sound at least as good (probably better) for a lot less money than this will go for.

The Silverface amps are my favourite 'old' amps though. I've 'Black-faced' loads, and they unfailingly sound fantastic after (and pretty good before too!) In reasonable condition they can be picked up at fair prices (although budget for caps and a service) and are very tough and reliable.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Got to agree with all the comments about paying over the odds for what is essentially an old worn out amp, but there's a little devil on my shoulder telling me to put a bid in ;)
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    John_A;37471" said:
    Got to agree with all the comments about paying over the odds for what is essentially an old worn out amp, but there's a little devil on my shoulder telling me to put a bid in ;)

+1

It's not worth it, but I still want it!

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ^  If you want it it's worth it ;)