Miles Platting amp

billandobillando Frets: 34
Going through a phase of selling much of my amps and buying others i came across a Miles Platting 60w combo. I had never heard of them! Never seen an amp like it so agreed to buy it. Its a non master volume from early 70s but looks in great condition and in the pics i see it has two g12h30 75hrtz thames ditton speakers. Im not an expert on the speakers but some guys go on about pre rola celestions which this is so hopefully it either does me well or will make me a little something if i sell it on. 

Anybody used a Miles Platting? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2983
    No but have been there
  • billandobillando Frets: 34
    Its a bit of manchester i believe.....amp might sound good or might be shit but they seem rare so went for it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    I've worked on a couple, years ago. From memory they're roughly a Fender 6G6-B Bassman copy circuit-wise, but with EL34s - similar to the Selmer Treble & Bass 50 in that sense. (I might be wrong, it's a long time ago!) Build quality is OK but not outstanding - hand wired, with tag strips, a lot of components hung between fairly widely-separated points and loosely supported.... not quite true point-to-point. I don't remember them as being particularly special sounding, but good enough - a typical vintage non-MV valve amp sound.

The G12H-30s should be very good, if they're working properly - check carefully though, a lot of old Celestions have problems, including the notorious concertina coming off the frames due to rust under the paint, so they sound fine at low volumes but start to fart horribly when turned up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randellarandella Frets: 4713
    billando said:
    Its a bit of manchester i believe.....amp might sound good or might be shit but they seem rare so went for it. 
    It is, yep. Up by the Etihad.

I wonder if there's any connection?