Things you learn after quite a few years .. add yours

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 977
    One that occurred to me the other day:
    We all know that it's normal for a musician to spend some time in bands that maybe aren't ideal for one reason or another, to a greater or lesser extent, and you either make the best of it and enjoy it, or stick with it because it's good money, or you move on. But sometimes you find a band that just clicks perfectly together and for unknown reasons just feels right. If you're lucky enough to find that second one then drop everything and ride it like a maniac for as long as you can because it doesn't happen often and life is short. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    @Supportact ;'s comment reminds me of my 4 Ms for checking that I will want to and enjoy being in a particular band:
    Music - does this band's music make you feel good?
    Money - will this band pay enough to keep you wanting to play in this band?
    Mates - are you likely to end up best friends who want to hang out together?
    Mission - does this band have a purpose, a goal it is trying to achieve?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 977
    Whistler said:
    @Supportact 's comment reminds me of my 4 Ms for checking that I will want to and enjoy being in a particular band:
    It would be amazing to get all four of those in one band! I'd probably be happy with any two out of the four, really. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33809
    edited February 14
    If you can't hum/sing your solo then it probably sucks.

Soloing is 10% of the job, spend most of your time developing a killer right hand (for right handers).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Whistler said:
    @Supportact 's comment reminds me of my 4 Ms for checking that I will want to and enjoy being in a particular band:
    It would be amazing to get all four of those in one band! I'd probably be happy with any two out of the four, really. 
    It's usually three factors...in US terms: music/money/hang...any two and it will work...all three and yer golden.

I like the fourth 'mission' factor though :+1: 

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Whistler said:
    It's usually three factors...in US terms: music/money/hang...any two and it will work...all three and yer golden.

I like the fourth 'mission' factor though :+1: 
    The first three I picked up elsewhere a long time ago. The last one, mission, I added in 2016 as the band’s goals are important to me.
  • Play along with recorded music and try to figure out parts. It will help critical listening, transcribing, arranging, expand musical knowledge by experience, feel, etc.

Try to play little and often. If you end up playing for a long time, great, but a little everyday keeps you match fit.

Try to be curious and playful like a child. Beginners mind will keep it interesting and lead down many pathways.

Playing something slowly with feeling is harder than playing it fast. Practice playing slowly.