SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: Gibson ES-335, 58 VOS, natural, 2016

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
edited January 28 in Guitars £
OK. First things first - I have mood swings on an hourly basis, so I may change my mind on this, to the surprise of no-one.

I've had a few ES-335's, but I rate this one as the best that I've ever had my trotters around, along with th a 1989 Cherry Dot example.

After buying and selling over 200 guitars in the past few years (I can assure you NOT for profit!), I'm trying to settle down with a Gibson, Gretsch, Tele and nice acoustic collection. I have a Gretsch which I'm hooked on at the moment (a Duo Jet '53 VS) and have sprung for a 1950's ES-175, so just the Tele and an acoustic to go. Probably. Ask me again later.

This particular guitar has got quite an interesting provenance to it. It's the actual guitar featured in this  review - https://guitar.com/reviews/gibson-memphis-1958-es-335-vos-review/

A couple of things to add, which add to the interest (I think).....

As the eagle-eyed among you might have spotted, it has a Bigsby fitted. Although it's not a factory fit, it's got an interesting story in as much as it fitted by Huw Price, who based an article around it. Here it is - https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/how-to-install-a-bigsby-on-a-gibson-es-335/

Last, but definitely not least - it has a gorgeous set of Throbaks fitted. The original pickups were changed to Monty's PAF's, but in the words of the gentleman that opted for the Throbaks, 'I swapped them out for the Throbaks as I wanted a little more muscle to go with the airy high end.' And boy, are they great pickups! They're obviously not a cheap upgrade, but I think that they're probably the nices tpickups that I've heard on an ES-335. I don't have the originals, not that I'd want them really.

The other thing to mention is the neck - unbound, of course, as they were in the first run of the ES-335's in 1958, and delightfully chunky, without being a baseball bat. I've grown to prefer unbound necks to bond necks, but that's just a personal preference of course.

I haven't taken any 'for sale' pics, because I really had no intention of selling it, but I certainly can and will. What else? Well, obviously it's in lovely condition, as is the original case. It's not a lightweight - my scales are all over the place today, like a Labrador in Greggs, but I reckon just over 9lbs.

I don't much fancy any trades, but I'd think about other Gibson archtops or a RW CS Tele, or even a Japanese Gretsch of some description.  Look, I know what I wrote above about only fancying a Tele and maybe an acoustic, but I typed that over ten minutes ago.

So, price? Well, there's not many about, of course - there's a natural example at £3200 on Reverb and a sunburst example at £3999. There was one up for sale at F-f-fender F-f-fever at about £4385 but that's gone - I don't how much it sold for.

Anyway, I'm thinking that with the Throbaks, the Bigsby and the interesting history, £3400 might not be too bad. As ever, let me know if it's too cheap.   

I'm not posting it, but will drive anywhere, although I might miss out Harrogate as the injunction's still in force. Meeting up is fine - laybys, deserted parks, dogging areas, public lavatories, you know - the usual. I prefer to keep away from motorway services as I have quite exacting standards, but am prepared to consider it. Obviously, you're very welcome to visit the punishment rooms at DB1 Towers. If you're lucky, you might even leave. Payment would be by bank transfer preferably, and done face to face over a cuppa, given the recent scummy scammy behaviour on here. Lord, I hate these people.

Anyway, enough of this nonsense. Let me know if it floats your boat, and we can chat. Now I'm off to play the damn thing and reflect on my stupidity.

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3338
    edited January 20
    These are cracking, the couple I’ve been lucky enough to try played superbly and had the finest 335 neck of them all. Good luck with the sale good sir. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1108
    Can I have dibs when you buy it back for the third time?

Stunner of a guitar!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    How dare you!!!

Yes.
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bump for this beauty. Had a couple of trade offers so far, but it's still here.

Part trades that might be of interest might be a CS Tele, a Gibson archtop of some description, an ES-330, possibly something Gretschy.
    Call me Dave.
    Interesting trade possibility(ies) on the go, but bump in case nothing happens on that score. Obviously cash would be great, but shiny things do excite me as well.
    Call me Dave.
    edited January 28
    Was on hold, but a slight issue occurred with the prospective p/ex guitar, so available again for the moment.

Edit::Sold
    Call me Dave.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2716
    So much want….