Marshall dsl 5c - adding cab?

Calla85Calla85 Frets: 27
I've got a Marshall DSL5c which fits my needs and i've been tempted to hook it up to a 2x12 cab for a while. I've been looking at a used Marshall 1936 or orange PPC212.

There's currently an offer on the Marshall DSL402, so would I be better off going for this instead and selling my DSL5c.

Think overall cost wise there wouldn't much difference.

Speakers in PPC212 would be vintage 30s so better than stock ones in 402?

Also 402 is supposed to be OK at lower volumes but will it be too much when compared to 5c? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1687
    edited January 21
    I’d get a cab. No issues with valves rattling, you can use it with other amps you might get in future, and cost wise it might be cheaper than 402 plus speaker upgrades (they’re not V-types, although that’s not to say they’re necessarily bad). 

Edit: volume wise, the 402 will go as low as you need. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    Bear in mind the DSL5C output is 16-ohm only, so you can't really use a Marshall 1936, which is 8 ohm. It will work and probably won't harm the amp unless it's really cranked up, but I wouldn't risk it.

Also, the V30s in the Orange are not ideal speakers for a low-powered amp - they're one of the few speakers which does need more of a push to sound good, and can be a bit stiff at very low volumes. Of the two it's the better option though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein