JMP in Wales on Gumtree

What's Hot
jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2475
Looks like a good price... I'm not in the market for one but one of you might be?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/marshall-jmp-mk-2/1086000574
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72854
    Not a bargain unless you know what the internal condition is like, and questionable even just given the external. Considering how great they are and how many 'name' players have used them on records and tours, they really don't sell for much more than that usually.

Budget £100 for a basic cap job and service and it's about right - a bit more if you want the cosmetics tidied up and you're above what they usually go for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Oh right, I'm not too clued up on old Marshalls!

How about this then? A USA Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for £180 ;)

http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-bass-amplifiers/fender-hot-rod-deluxe-amplifier-made-in-usa-/1085982935
    Oh right, I'm not too clued up on old Marshalls!

How about this then? A USA Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for £180 ;)

http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-bass-amplifiers/fender-hot-rod-deluxe-amplifier-made-in-usa-/1085982935
    Mexican ones are better :). (Really!) But yes, that's a good price if it's not a scam...

Those old Marshall combos are criminally undervalued. They're simply a Master Volume 50 head in a 2x12" cab, and the heads usually sell for as much or more than the combos do - the combos are normally in the £500-550 range. It's true that they are physically large and awkward, rather heavy, not that attractive-looking (and often in poor condition), and only do one sound really... but it's a great sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    edited October 2014

Nice Fender amp - near me too! Could be interested.  Anything I should be looking for if I go and have a look at it @ICBM?

• Yeah, I have an EVA (English Valve Amps) Lead & Bass 18w clone which sounds sublime so I know the tone the good ones are capable of! I have been scouting for a higher wattage JMP (36-50w) for some time but just bought a Matchless Nighthawk Reverb which is killer! Completely different animal but it was too much of a bargain... and it's got far more clean headroom than its 15w suggests.
    longjaw said:

Interesting Fender amp - near me too! Could be interested.  Anything I should be looking for if I go and have a look at it @ICBM?

Just that it works properly really - check all three channels and the reverb work - unless you want to start opening it up and looking for damage/repairs etc.

Assuming that it's even a genuine ad - the price is suspiciously low but also a slightly odd non-round number... a common sign of a scam. Would anyone really sell an amp for a price that thirty seconds of internet work would show is worth almost twice what he's asking?

• Would anyone really sell an amp for a price that thirty seconds of internet work would show is worth almost twice what he's asking?
    It does happen, I've got some real bargains off Gumtree in my time! I would never arrange a courier though, strictly collection on all things I buy from there.
    ICBM said:
    longjaw said:

Interesting Fender amp - near me too! Could be interested.  Anything I should be looking for if I go and have a look at it @ICBM?

Just that it works properly really - check all three channels and the reverb work - unless you want to start opening it up and looking for damage/repairs etc.

Assuming that it's even a genuine ad - the price is suspiciously low but also a slightly odd non-round number... a common sign of a scam. Would anyone really sell an amp for a price that thirty seconds of internet work would show is worth almost twice what he's asking?
    Thanks for that mate - I've emailed him asking if I can visit and try it out - awaiting the reply!

......... and there it is - the safety alert email from Gumtree! No bargain here then. 

C'est La Vie :)

• longjaw said:

......... and there it is - the safety alert email from Gumtree! No bargain here then. 

Boo!
    longjaw said:

What's so stupid about these scammers is that it would have been far less suspicious if he'd said £250, and he'd have made another £70 if anyone had fallen for it.

But I assume if they were bright enough to work that out they'd probably be bright enough to get a job.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom