Neil Kulkarni

What's Hot
DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
edited January 23 in Tributes
Music writer/journalist, probably best remembered for his '90s stint at Melody Maker, but wrote for a ton of other publications since...Vox, Uncut, DJ, Source, a bunch of online music sites, plus a book or two along the way.  A superb communicator of musical passion and obsession.  Same age as me, I reckon, so only 51.  Desperately sad news.

RIP
New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Absolutely shocked to read it this morning. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3079
    edited January 24
    Devastated to see this on Simon Price's Twitter this morning. I thoroughly recommend Neil's Eastern Spring memoir for some insight into the origins of his unflinching style. I was due to go to Chart Music Live but had to cry off - I wish I'd gone now.

RIP Neil

https://thequietus.com/articles/33777-remembering-neil-kulkarni-simon-price
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 845
    Awful news. Always loved his writing in the Melody Maker.
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    I worked with Neil for years at BIMM. We met doing open days together before BIMM Brum opened. He was without doubt one of the smartest, sharpest and funniest people I’ve ever met. 

Looked bloody cool too. 

He was a fantastic lecturer and we all miss him. We have a quote up in reception that I hope the students appreciate. 

The funeral is Thursday. Here’s to the crisp addict / tea guzzling / Oasis hating / chain smoking (although he quit a couple of months ago) / good mate. 
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    I'm just back from the funeral.

Coventry Cathedral is beautiful. It began with Wild Horses by the Stones. a total gut punch. The first speech was from David Stubbs (?) the old Editor of MM. Funny and touching.

A lovely send-off to a lovely bloke. I'm really going to miss him.
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom