Fender ’white packet’ strings: yay or nay?

What's Hot
YorkieYorkie Frets: 1692
edited January 26 in Guitar
It’s Friday night and I’m thinking about restringing my new old PRS soon. Not super soon because I have other, more immediate things that need my attention, but in the near-ish future. Tomorrow, maybe. 

It’s a 24.5” scale guitar that plays incredibly well even though the 10s it came with are rustier than my people skills. It seems to want 10s on. Problem is I don’t have any 10s around. 

I’ve been browsing g4m as I could possibly collect from their York showroom and, to my surprise, there’s a £5 difference between my usual first pick (3 x D’Addario) and the white packet Fenders. I know some people on the internet seem to think and/or want to believe that they’re just repackaged OEM D’Addarios, but this has been denied time and again by their spox. 

It seems plausible that Fender load these on their guitars, so I can’t see how they could be utter rubbish? Or maybe they could. Wouldn’t be the first time. 

So what do you think?
Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 310
    Yorkie said:
    It’s Friday night and I’m thinking about restringing my new old PRS soon. Now super soon because I have other, more immediate things that need my attention, but in the near-ish future. Tomorrow, maybe. 

It’s a 24.5” scale guitar that plays incredibly well even though the 10s it came with are rustier than my people skills. It seems to want 10s on. Problem is I don’t have any 10s around. 

I’ve been browsing g4m as I could possibly collect from their York showroom and, to my surprise, there’s a £5 difference between my usual first pick (3 x D’Addario) and the white packet Fenders. I know some people on the internet seem to think and/or want to believe that they’re just repackaged OEM D’Addarios, but this has been denied time and again by their spox.

It seems plausible that Fender load these on their guitars, so I can’t see how they could be utter rubbish? Or maybe they could. Wouldn’t be the first time. 

So what do you think?
    What on earth does "spox" mean?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1692
    Yorkie said:
    It’s Friday night and I’m thinking about restringing my new old PRS soon. Now super soon because I have other, more immediate things that need my attention, but in the near-ish future. Tomorrow, maybe. 

So what do you think?
    Spokesperson. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 341
    As I understand it they are made by a third party in the States, just not sure who- I think the coloured ball ends leads some to guess D'Addario. Anyhow these are fine strings, I use them on my Strat.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2778
    who are big enough in the USA to supply oem strings? Ernie Ball, D’Addario, GHS and Dean Marley are the only ones I can think of, so one of those have made them to fenders spec 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    Every guitar string in every packet ever sold anywhere in the world since the beginning of time is actually a repackaged D'Addario.

Known fact.

(Guaranteed completely true because Internet.) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    elstoof said:
    who are big enough in the USA to supply oem strings? Ernie Ball, D’Addario, GHS and Dean Marley are the only ones I can think of, so one of those have made them to fenders spec 

Mapes. SIT. Doubtless others I can't think of at present. In any case, the Fender strings I have here (two different sorts) are marked Made in Mexico on the packet. Martin/Darco also make strings in Mexico (also in the US if I remember correctly).
    The white packet strings are claimed as made in USA on the fender website
    edited January 26
    There, right below the big numbers: 

“Made in the USA”

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9122

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 26
    D’Addario’s Spox who famously uses dilithium strings: 

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 703
    IYorkie said:
    There, right below the big numbers: 

“Made in the USA”
    I recently bought a three pack of these, wanted to try 9’s again but on the cheap. 
    These were a bargain and excellent strings, felt great sounded great too. Very impressed as a D Addario user for as long as I can remember. 
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3259
    edited January 26
    elstoof said:
    Very much doubt the “made to fender specs” statement , and any company would jump at the chance of making OEM strings for fender, or any of the other big manufacturers 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Why? If fender says they want 100,000 strings with sonic blue ball ends, that is the definition of “made to fender specs”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    elstoof said:
    Why? If fender says they want 100,000 strings with sonic blue ball ends, that is the definition of “made to fender specs”
    What we want is 100,000 strings made to D’Addario specs at Fender prices :lol: 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Yorkie said:
    BobHillman said:  
    Spokesperson. 
    Formerly known as Roy?

Ex-Roy Spox.

Yorkie said:
    Problem is I don’t have any 10s around. 

… what do you think?
    Take this opportunity to try a set of 9.5 - 44 or 9.5 - 46.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Take this opportunity to try a set of 9.5 - 44 or 9.5 - 46.
    No thanks, I have already made my life awkward enough by playing 8s on strats… can’t even buy them in packs of three. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Yorkie said:
    … can’t even buy them in packs of three. 
    As Dave Edmunds once sang, Here Comes The Weekend. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2161
    Yorkie said:

So what do you think?
    Live Longer and Prosper?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    A careful comparison of the ball end shape, lock twist and overwrap, and possibly the length of exposed core at the other end, should indicate whether two brands of strings are made by the same manufacturer. Most are slightly different, since the really big companies all use their own custom-built machinery.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I can understand why people might think that… left D’Addario, right Fender. Different gauges though (11s vs 10s), so red DA is closer to gold F. They look uncannily similar.