EMG SA pick ups(old solder type) Mid Range Boost available.

What's Hot
GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
Hi is there a Clapton type mid range boost available for EMG SA pups as above ?.
Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1790
    edited January 27
    Yep go for the EMG SPC kit.

Don’t sully it by comparing it to the Clapton anything  

@Funkfingers is the expert on this kit to be fair

Cheers,
    B
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    Yep go for the EMG SPC kit.

Don’t sully it by comparing it to the Clapton anything  

@Funkfingers is the expert on this kit to be fair

Cheers,
    B
    So the SPC kit can be used with solder pickups ?, i thought it was only available for the solderless type.
    Thanks i'll check it out without thinking or assuming  :#
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1790
    edited January 27
    Yeah the solder gear is all obsolete, but you can clip off the plug ends of the cables where needed on the solderless kit if you need to hook into existing solder connecting kit.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1

Please drop me a message.
    Yeah the solder gear is all obsolete, but you can clip off the plug ends of the cables where needed on the solderless kit if you need to hook into existing solder connecting kit.

Ok thanks, i'll look into it.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Funkfingers is the expert on this kit to be fair.
    Oh, no, he isn't.

I just use the EMG stuff quite a lot. If I know anything about active pickup circuitry, it is from having made mistakes. 

GrahamG said: 
    So the SPC kit can be used with solder pickups?
    Yes. 

GrahamG said:
    i thought it was only available for the solderless type.
    There are various ways of mixing and matching hard-wired and Solderless™ EMG products.

IMO, it is worthwhile having the -SPC accessory on a five-pin Solderless™ block connector. That way, you retain the option of easily changing to other active accessories in future.

On regular Stratocasters with pickguard-mounted pickups and controls, my pet peeve with the Solderless™ wiring is that the cable from the jack socket to the control cavity is woefully short.

FWIIW, I have one of the transitional EMG-SPC devices. (Block connector and PCB on the pot. Hard-wired soldered connections for the five cables. Its green output wire is a bit longer than the EMG interconnect cable with spade connectors for the jack socket end.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Funkfingers is the expert on this kit to be fair.
    Oh, no, he isn't.

I just use the EMG stuff quite a lot. If I know anything about active pickup circuitry, it is from having made mistakes. 

GrahamG said: 
    So the SPC kit can be used with solder pickups?
    Yes. 

GrahamG said:
    i thought it was only available for the solderless type.
    There are various ways of mixing and matching hard-wired and Solderless™ EMG products.

IMO, it is worthwhile having the -SPC accessory on a five-pin Solderless™ block connector. That way, you retain the option of easily changing to other active accessories in future.

On regular Stratocasters with pickguard-mounted pickups and controls, my pet peeve with the Solderless™ wiring is that the cable from the jack socket to the control cavity is woefully short.

FWIIW, I have one of the transitional EMG-SPC devices. (Block connector and PCB on the pot. Hard-wired soldered connections for the five cables. Its green output wire is a bit longer than the EMG interconnect cable with spade connectors for the jack socket end.)
    Thanks again, you helped me with advice about fitting & wiring my pickups in a previous thread.
    I'm just reading the fitting instructions for the SPC, is the 5 way connector block you refer to the one it shows in the instructions which comes mounted to the SPC pot as standard, or is it a separate part ?.
    Everything should be in the kit packaging.

The current edition of the EMG-SPC has a PCB on the underside of the pot. Five connector pins emerge from the PCB. The corresponding block connector is designed to only fit one way around. This ensures that the ins, outs and voltage supply go to the correct pins.
    Everything should be in the kit packaging.

The current edition of the EMG-SPC has a PCB on the underside of the pot. Five connector pins emerge from the PCB. The corresponding block connector is designed to only fit one way around. This ensures that the ins, outs and voltage supply go to the correct pins.
    Thanks, i'll get one ordered & hope i don't screw it up  =)
    Anyone have a diagram for soldering SPC control pcb to solder type SA strat install ? =)

The circuit is fairly straightforward. Pickups > selector switch > volume > SPC > tone > output jack.

Interfacing between hard-wired and Solderless™ cables is easiest with an EMG157c Buss Board.

The alternative method involves removing the plastic block connectors from the Solderless™ interconnection cables.

Orient one end of a cable so that the metal bits are visible through the little square holes. Use a sharp/narrow tipped object to press down through the little holes. This releases the contact fastening. Gently withdraw the wires from the block. 

You can use the exposed metal contact parts to solder to conventional pots.

In some active bass guitar electronics, it is conventional to have the master volume last in the signal chain. Thus, your guitar wiring could be organised pickups > selector switch > SPC > tone control > volume > output socket.

Whilst I am willing to produce a drawing, it will be necessary to know which EMG control components you currently have and how much cable is left on each of them. (A photograph would help muchly.)
    The circuit is fairly straightforward. Pickups > selector switch > volume > SPC > tone > output jack.

Interfacing between hard-wired and Solderless™ cables is easiest with an EMG157c Buss Board.

The alternative method involves removing the plastic block connectors from the Solderless™ interconnection cables.

Orient one end of a cable so that the metal bits are visible through the little square holes. Use a sharp/narrow tipped object to press down through the little holes. This releases the contact fastening. Gently withdraw the wires from the block. 

You can use the exposed metal contact parts to solder to conventional pots.

In some active bass guitar electronics, it is conventional to have the master volume last in the signal chain. Thus, your guitar wiring could be organised pickups > selector switch > SPC > tone control > volume > output socket.

Whilst I am willing to produce a drawing, it will be necessary to know which EMG control components you currently have and how much cable is left on each of them. (A photograph would help muchly.)
    Thanks, sorry i missed your reply, apologies for the late response, i plucked up courage & fitted the SPC & amazingly it works fine except for the tone pot not workng  :/ .
    The  SPC is the only EMG pot, i have standard 25K  Volume & Tone pots & standard 5 way switch, but i am thinking of fitting the EXG & an EMG volume pot. 
    Thanks for your continued help
    The hard-wired 25k pots in your system are either supplied by EMG as part of the original system or, hopefully, good quality replacements. There should be no reason to change them.

There are two possible reasons why the stock tone control is not working.
    1) It is not connected into the circuit correctly.
    2) Even if the pot is connected correctly, the green .01uF capacitor removes very little high frequency information. (IMO, its effect is more like changing to old strings or a Fishman Fluence HF Tilt switch.)

In order to express any opinion on your wiring harness, I need to see photographs of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom