friedman users...

Really tempted by the Friedman Smallbox.  Just been lent one for a week by a very generous friend to try at home.  Just wondered how people are using them live... ie.. Channel one rhythm, channel 2 lead or Channel one clean, channel 2 dirty.. Boost in the Fx loop etc..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slateslate Frets: 89
    I use mine for rhythm & lead on both channels,depending on the song.
    all pedals on the floor in front of the amp -

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/slate_photos/Mobile Uploads/IMAG0125_zpsvnisewso.jpg

either through a Mills 212 or 412 loaded with V30's.
    Sounds great.
  • do you use the koko as a volume/solo boost? do you keep both channels relatively clean? Any issues? ta
    I use the koko in mid boost mode as a lead boost for channel 2 mostly . the timmy i use as a rhythm & solo boost for channel 1. Both channel gains are set around 6 usually, So with the pedals it's like having 4 channels.
    No issues with the amp at all so far.
  • just had a blast this morning. Seems like it would cut through in a band situation. Liked channel 1 particularly
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    ep booster sounds great with the small box too. boosts both channels great.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I use an EP with my BE100 seems to work really well, so solo I have an MXr MicroAmp in the loop for a volume boost and kick in the HBE switch if I need more gain. 
  • Why are you guys using boost pedals with the Friedmans? I'm a little taken a back by this.
    cosmiccarrot;394240" said:
    Why are you guys using boost pedals with the Friedmans? I'm a little taken a back by this.
    Because lower gain on amp plus boost sounds better than more gain on amp and no boost.
    Thems the rules.

• Had a play for a hour or so last night... Tried a tc electronics booster in the loop which worked a treat. Agree that less gain plus boost in the front beats gain and no boost. Pity the head is so wide as it overhung my maz 1 x 12 cab so will need to take the 2 x 12 ... Most of the pubs I play in cope with a 1 x12 quite adequately.
  • slate said:
    Because lower gain on amp plus boost sounds better than more gain on amp and no boost.
    Thems the rules.

So the more gain used doesn't sound good? does this apply to just the 50w. I use my SL pretty much flat out to get the power amp section distorting, are the Friedmans more of a modern sounding mv amp as opposed to the classic marshall, I've not had chance to try one yet.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    i tried my Pink Taco both ways, and with the gain on full it sounds much better than on half with a boost

I just use a boost for a few parts in a few songs, 98% of the time I'm just using amp gain. The micro Amp in the loop is purely a volume boost.
    edited October 2014
    cosmiccarrot;394306" said:
    slate said:

Thems the rules.

So the more gain used doesn't sound good? does this apply to just the 50w. I use my SL pretty much flat out to get the power amp section distorting, are the Friedmans more of a modern sounding mv amp as opposed to the classic marshall, I've not had chance to try one yet.
    Every MV Amp ive ever owned I've run like this - it's just a personal preference.
    The Friedman sounds great with the gain full up ,I just like the sound with less gain from the amp (ANY driven MV amp,not just the friedman) and adding a boost in the front end.

Try it.
  • slate said:
    cosmiccarrot;394306" said:
    slate said:

Thems the rules.

Every MV Amp ive ever owned I've run like this - it's just a personal preference.
    The Friedman sounds great with the gain full up ,I just like the sound with less gain from the amp (ANY driven MV amp,not just the friedman) and adding a boost in the front end.

Try it.

I tend to go this route as well as reducing the amp gain gives more cut in the mix as well as making the riding of my guitars volume pot easier to get good sounds. Plus I can get the boost in for added oomph when required.
  • Why are you guys using boost pedals with the Friedmans? I'm a little taken a back by this.
    Marshall + Boss SD-1 = happiness. 
    I know Doug Rappoport could make anything sound good.. but this demo really shows off what the BE100 can do.

• Oooof! Like!
  • Some tasty playing that is.

Amp sounds great