Re-learning following a hand operation

What's Hot
I had an operation on my right hand which has left me with limited use of my middle finger.  Luckily I was never a finger picker but I always held my plectrum with my thumb and middle finger and I am really struggling to re-learn using my index finger.  I have to break a 50-year habit (I'm 63) and I swing between holding the pick too lightly so I drop it or gripping it too firmly and having zero flex.

I'm sure the answer is to just practice, but does anyone have any tips?  I have a range of plectra but can always buy more :-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 293
    I would persist with any physio exercises you’ve been given for your middle finger to rebuild strength/flexibility and also try initially with a slightly more flexible pick.

I would also try playing by holding the pick between thumb and first finger (which is how I’ve always played). It will probably feel awkward for you initially but keep going as it would give you a fallback option. Hope it goes well.
  • Thanks.  I no longer have a tendon in my middle finger so there are no exercises to do unfortunately.  I am now using my first finger.  I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually, I just had 50 years of muscle memory before.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    You can re-learn, even at 63. As you say it needs practice. Thankfully there’s not a big change in hand motion. It’s more about grip.

I started using a plectrum at 55. After a few weeks of the plectrum rotating, or dropping completely, I started drilling 3mm holes in a standard plectrum. Fifteen years later I could play without the holes, but then I would drop at least one per evening.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a genius idea.  I'll give it a go - thanks!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Have you any mobility at all in the middle finger, @Yorkshireman27 ?  I've always held them between thumb and the tips of index and middle fingers - I found this gave me the best combination of grip and flexibility.

Good luck, whatever happens  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can only bend the first joint (the one nearest to the hand).  The other bit of tendon is gone (as in not there at all!).  I'll try your approach too thanks.