Mission SP1-L6H cheaper alternatives?

What's Hot
As per the title really. Would like to get an expression pedal with toe switch to use with my HX Stomp but would prefer not to drop £180 on it as I really wont use it much. Anything else out there that does the same for less dosh?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4172
    Boss EV-30 - it's bloody flexible and has settings to work with virtually everything.
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 421
    edited January 31
    Boss EV-30 - it's bloody flexible and has settings to work with virtually everything.
    I don't think the Boss has a toe switch, does it?

Another option is to get any standard expression pedal that has room for a toe switch and add it yourself. I have done that a few times and it is a really simple mod that only takes minutes to do.

For example: https://www.reddit.com/r/diypedals/comments/irvvid/donner_viper_mod_for_hx_stomp/
  • BodBod Frets: 1322
    I've been wondering the same, so watching this thread with interest.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4253
    susbemol said:

Another option is to get any standard expression pedal that has room for a toe switch and add it yourself. I have done that a few times and it is a really simple mod that only takes minutes to do.

For example: https://www.reddit.com/r/diypedals/comments/irvvid/donner_viper_mod_for_hx_stomp/
    No the EV-30 doesn't have one. That's a nifty idea about adding one.

Maybe I'll just spend more time tinkering and seeing if I can get most of what I want from using extremes of the pedal position to switch things on and off.....
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24640
    I've got an L6H but I bought it about 5 years ago. I had no idea they had gone up in price that much.
    That's just taking the piss! It's such a simple product!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    They are literally a wah shell with a pot and switch, crazy money... and I thought it was ridiculous at £130ish when I bought one a couple of years 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep some searches open on ebay, can pick them up for around £80 second hand, got to be mad to buy one new.

If its for bedroom/studio use, the m-audio £20 ones work perfectly fine with modeller's. No need for a 2kg lump of steel unless touring

• PLOPPLOP Frets: 293
    I bought one of these when I still used the L6 M9 unit, except when I got it they sold for £25 in 2010 or something... https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/volume-expression-pedals/line-6-ex1-expression-pedal

It works for helix too, but it’s the most basic unit possible. No button, just up and down. Mine is a dedicated volume pedal which I use on every preset. I use the helix pedal for any effects. 

So I’ve had it a long time, and it has only let me down once - and obviously it was mid gig. The metal bit that connects the footplate to the pot somehow unhooked itself. It was a two minute repair the next day but I do wonder how it happened. Sometimes when the pedal is brought 0%/toe up in the last millimetres of travel it bumps up to ~20%. The foot plate can’t go any further, but somehow the pot thinks it can. Another easy fix, I can see where the same problematic metal bit slides forwards again right at the end of its travel space. 

While these two issues do undermine the unit, I’ve used it for ~14 years, it’s completely plastic enclosure and it didn’t cost much at the time, so I can’t complain really. I’d recommend it if it’s just a volume pedal like my case. 

However, for £60 now I’d definitely be considering alternatives. A volume or expression pedal is the most basic pedal possible. It’s a footplate connected to one pot… there is no excuse for them to cost anything above £40 I don’t think. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4172
    susbemol said:

D’oh - forgot about the toe switch!
  • dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 112
    duotone said:
    It's not compatible with the Helix range of hardware.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Oh sorry.