Pedalboard.... Help!

What's Hot
EreforGuitarGearEreforGuitarGear Frets: 71
edited October 2014 in FX
Hi, I'm trying to sort out my pedalboard... Need a wide variety of tones and am trying to cull what I currently don't use. Only problem is I can't decide what to hold on to/get shot of! Any ideas? Or should I just build a second board :D http://i.imgur.com/dO6oR9Gl.jpg Should probably add that I mainly use the ethos as a backup for my amp... Sounds great going through the PA.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    I can't actually make out what most of those pedals are (though I'm not much of a pedalhead, so the fault's probably mine :D).

But yeah second board is the thing. Then when you fill it up, a third board.

An even more ridiculous option is to say that those pedals are too big, so you have the excuse to buy more, smaller pedals.

Slightly more seriously, though, what amp/guitar do you have, what type of tones do you want/need, and what are the pedals?
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    More to the point - is that my old Velvet Ververt?!?!?

Basically, you need to jettison anything that only gets stepped on once at a gig (and isn't on all the time, obviously) - that's not enough. Try and play 5 gigs with 5 pedals. Anything you miss, put back in. Anything you don't use much or can do without, remove. I think pedals are ace, but unless you play very effect heavy music, you don't need more than the essentials. Most audiences can't tell the difference between 5 different OD pedals, despite them being nice to have.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @JDE yup
  • EreforGuitarGearEreforGuitarGear Frets: 71
    edited October 2014
    @Dave_Mc as for guitars I have a strat and a les Paul.

Amp is usually a Ceriatone OTS Mini... I have a Musicman 210RD as well.

Pedals are a Pedalworx cool machine wah > Jacques Trinity Wah>Monkey FX Velvet Vervet> OCD clone/EP boost> Pedalworx Texas Two Step x2 (for cascading ts-808 type tone) > LS mammajamma > Sabbadius Mr White> juansolo aquapuss delay clone > Dr scientist radical red reverberator.

Tones I'm after for 2 bands one is a blues/blues rock type band covering Bb King, SRV/kenny Wayne shepherd, the hoax and Gary Clark jr. The other is a typical pub covers band.

The ones off the board are a mix of clones (courtesy of juansolo solo and a guy in Norfolk that goes by the name of luxtone... Some stonkingly good pedals PTP wired) and a DWJ boutique clean booster. The blue pedal on the board is a KOT clone but not plumbed in ;)

The drive pedals are all set up differently because I'm lazy and can't remember settings etc so have them set for different flavours. Well that's my excuse anyway! ;)

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Have one board for each band.

Blues, have a wah, light-medium gain dirt, and your taste of the others.

Pub band, wah, light gain dirt, higher gain dirt, and your taste of the rest.

Simple.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l;391601" said:
    Have one board for each band.Blues, have a wah, light-medium gain dirt, and your taste of the others.Pub band, wah, light gain dirt, higher gain dirt, and your taste of the rest.Simple.
    I was leaning towards a setup like that. Thinking also that I could possibly get away with using the 2 channels of my OTS mini for the blues band and just use a wah and a boost pedal to give it a kick. And for the covers band use the musicman as a clean amp and add pedals to spice it up. Both bands are in very early stages.
    edited October 2014
    I totally set and forget as well. I probably have pedals on my board set for different tones that, if I were less lazy, I could probably just have the one pedal and adjust it and get close enough. :))

I don't gig but I suspect the two boards thing for the different bands is a decent idea. I run two boards at home, one for my high gain amps (where I just need OD boosts, a bit of delay and wah etc.), and one for my lower gain amps (where I have more od/distortion pedals, fuzzes etc.). If you're willing to use the OTS for some of the dirt that'll cut down the number of pedals you need as well.

EDIT: That's some nice kit you've got there :D
  • Thanks for the post @Dave_MC... I'm now thinking 2 boards is the way to go. Might make it simpler though and sell an amp. Have been trying to get rid of the Musicman so i can focus on trying to get the tones I want from the OTS mini, although the clean tone is nowhere near as glassy if that makes sense?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31121
    If you're stuck do it by selecting the nicest colour scheme and remove any pedals that clash.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Problem is its usually dark and dingy (especially in the pubs we get booked to play in) so if I did that it would be the leds matching ;) at the minute it looks like a budget set of Christmas tree lights.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ LOL