Something’s come up

What's Hot
CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
edited January 31 in Theory
I’m sure there’s a name for this already, but it’s been interesting exploring my nominal options based on what I’ve learned to far.

My daughter has a great ear and it’s showing in her first few months of piano lessons.  She’s worked out a melody of sorts (and accompanying left-hand chords) that invokes a scale of: C - D - Eb - F# - G - Ab - Bb - C

My instinct is to put it under the “harmonic minor” category because of that 3-semitone jump from Eb to F#.  But then it’s got the next three notes all crammed together. 

All that Zelda music we’ve been listening to, I think.  It’s lovely.  But does it have a name?  Is it a mode of G harmonic minor, like “C minor lydian dominant”?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Ah, ok, so it’s a minor Neapolitan scale.  Thank you!

Now I gotta find some examples of songs using it.  I mean, beside the one my kiddo is writing in her head.
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    Well, the 4th mode of it. Aka Aeolian #4. Very nice :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    I was hoping you’d check in on this.

So the “parent scale” here is based on the note prior to the flat 2?

And is there a term for that run of notes a semitone away - the maj7–1–b2?
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 336
    edited February 1
    It's C Hungarian Gypsy. Also C Sanmukhapriya, C Damien Emmanuel, and similar to Eb Houzam, Gb Neapolitan Minor Mode, G Neapolitan Minor, Bb Mixolydian Augmented & Ab Citrambari if my memory serves me correctly.

Harmonize with Cm, Gm, D(b5), F#sus2(b5), Ab, Eb, Bbaug.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Vintage65 said:
    It's C Hungarian Gypsy. Also C Sanmukhapriya, C Damien Emmanuel, and similar to Eb Houzam, Gb Neapolitan Minor Mode, G Neapolitan Minor, Bb Mixolydian Augmented & Ab Citrambari if my memory serves me correctly.

I am going to watch her play again and see what chords she’s playing with her left hand.  

It’s the beauty of being 10, a beginner who’s curious with a good ear.  She doesn’t care what anything is called, only that it sounds good.
    Cranky said:
    viz said:
    I was hoping you’d check in on this.

So the “parent scale” here is based on the note prior to the flat 2?

And is there a term for that run of notes a semitone away - the maj7–1–b2?

Ja - Neapolitan Minor is phrygian at the bottom, harmonic minor at the top. 

Not that I know of - it’s just a maj7, I, b2, like you say!

With a lot of these exotic scales, it’s quite often the case that the 4th mode actually serves as a more natural tonic, and the supposed “parent” scale is better as a dominant. Same with the hungarian minor and the persian major (imo anyway). 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited February 2
    Cranky said:
    Vintage65 said:

I am going to watch her play again and see what chords she’s playing with her left hand.  

It’s the beauty of being 10, a beginner who’s curious with a good ear.  She doesn’t care what anything is called, only that it sounds good.
    A minor discovery (no pun intended).  Abmaj7 harmonizes nicely.  A bit moodier than a straight up Ab.

And Eb minor harmonizes as well.  As does F#aug (and Daug, by virtue of being inversions of Bbaug).  Not that any of this is news to you fellas; it just helps me immensely to put things down in the form of banter.
    edited February 2
    Cranky said:

Now I gotta find some examples of songs using it.  I mean, beside the one my kiddo is writing in her head.
    Crushing Day by Satriani alludes to it. Any minor song with a major II chord brings in the aug4 note. But it also brings a raised 6th (like Dorian), which actually makes Crushing Day in the 4th mode of harmonic minor. But they're very similar. I mean you can play your daughter's scale over the 1 chord of Crushing Day, you just need to raise that 6th over the II chord. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom