Anyone tried the Boss MO-2 Overtone?

monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17874
edited October 2014 in FX tFB Trader
Well my EHX B9 blew up today and though it sounds brilliant I'm not inclined to get it replaced as I've had enough problems with EHX products to not really want them on my board any more. 

Having recently bought a Boss OD-1X with MDP and been impressed with it. I'm getting interested in the Multi Overtone. It seems to be the Boss answer to the POG and appears to do a mean organ sound.

Anyone got one, tried one?

I guess it's one more reason to get a GT-100 as they added the algo in the V2 firmware.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6237
    Blimey, you've not had that B9 long...  Hope it's not indicative of EHX QC 
    :(
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17874
    tFB Trader
    equalsql said:
    Blimey, you've not had that B9 long...  Hope it's not indicative of EHX QC 
    :(
    Unfortunately it is. 

I and lots of people I know have had a stack of problems with EHX products. They are brilliant, but really badly made. 

It's pissing me off because I've been wanting someone to make a product like the B9 for years. 

In more positive news Harry is organing it up a storm here:

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    Not seen that before. There are moments that are very Stevie Wonder, would that be clavinet rather than organ? Feels like you might need something swirly as well for a full on organ tone. But sounds good, has controls even I could manage.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited October 2014
    You've probably watched the Prymaxe demo by now.
    The early demos of this pedal left me wondering if it had any real use, I guess they were just poor demos, or they hadn't had time to develop a repertoire to show it to advantage.  Both this and Harry's video are much more convincing to my ears.
    edit:  It seems to stack well with the MDP overdrive and distortion too, from what I've seen elsewhere.

Duration 13:57

tFB Trader
    I gave one of these a try in a shop today. 

I was very impressed. It's quite similar to the B9 in function. 
    It can act in a very similar way as a POG for a 12 string effect, or provide a pad like the B9. It also works really well with drive and can do some Royal Blood style dropped riffage. 

The pad doesn't sound exactly like an organ, but it's close enough and it's more of a synth texture.

It has an advantage over the B9 in that it doesn't flip out with stuff in front of it. The B9 even has a fit if you stick a compressor in front of it. 

I'd rather have the tone control over the silly "click" control on the B9. 

Ultimately I think it's the choice between the ultimate accuracy of the organ simulation of the B9 vs the additional flexibility and practicality of the MO-2

This demo from Bea is quite good:

• Glad to hear someone tried one and was impressed.

Really fancy one of these.  Have been umming and ahhing about a Micro Pog or Pog for about three years without ever being fully convinced.  Price new is certainly a lot more appealing than a bashed up second-hand Micro Pog.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    tFB Trader
    Yeah, I think I'm done with EHX products much as I love how they sound they've let me down too many times and the MO-2 is a good blend of the POG and the B9. 

The last one went on Ebay for £60 which is pretty cool.
  • Boss have really been releasing some cool stuff recently.

I tried a ds-1 X and it doesn't sound anything like a conventional drive pedal (boutique fans, run the fuck away!). But it does something very different - you can play a heavily distorted hendrix chord (and I mean heavily distorted... Not hendrix fuzz overdrive) and it's nice sounding - just heavy!

The tera echo is a bit strymon sounding for my tastes (ie cheesey 80s sounds for big money), but again, a pretty unique effect in its own right.

And I really want to try an od-1x. I'm looking to move on my route 66 for an xotic sp and a separate drive (does the xotic do squish? I think it did but memory fails me...) as the xotic was a bit quieter and had more useful control range.
    tFB Trader
    The Xotic can get fairly squishy. Listen to the Paul Jackson Jr video for a really good overview of what it can do. 

The Terra Echo is something I might use in a multi fx, but I can't imagine buying one as a single stomp at the price it is. Pehaps if I did ambient noodley stuff I might feel differently. 
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1008
    edited October 2014

Totally agree about the EHX quality control. I only stopped modding the soul foods because the quality was so poor. The pots come only finger tightened on. If you use a spanner to tighten them as you would an alpha pot they disintegrate into your hands!