Moving house with your in-laws help

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31119
I'm moving house yesterday and today. My father-in-law helping, and it's probably the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life. I've moved house 21 times and I realised long ago that the key is hard work and industry not pontification. However, my father in law ( who is an uglier version of Peter Florrick) is one of these people that measures (and then announces) the cubic size of the van, divided by the gross volume of boxes etc....all I want is to make sure the amps and guitars don't get damaged. Moving- so bloody stressful. Mind you I'll be 100m from Chandlers.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Gassage said:
    Mind you I'll be 100m from Chandlers. a huge overdraft

<:-P

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    mike_l;391606" said:
    Gassage said:

Mind you I'll be 100m from Chandlers. a huge overdraft
    I sense despair....
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I've moved house 21 times also and realised long ago that the key is paying someone else to do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    jellyroll;391654" said:
    I've moved house 21 times also and realised long ago that the key is paying someone else to do it.
    How much does it cost (approximately) to move the contents of an average 3 bed house within the same city? Not London rates.

I've always moved myself as I see it as an unnecessary outlay. I resent paying anyone for something I can do.

But, we are moving next year and I'm getting too old to be throwing sofas and fridges around! And running out of favours from mates...

Previously known as stevebrum
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    Iamnobody said:
    jellyroll;391654" said:

I've always moved myself as I see it as an unnecessary outlay. I resent paying anyone for something I can do.

Kind of, until that first time I got someone else to do it and I thought, "That was totally worth it." 

My eldest son just moved and I got roped in at the last minute because he had to be out by a certain time and the Luton wasn't big enough.  So of course I ended up unloading the Luton, and my car, in the pouring rain and lunking no end of shit up stairs, through narrow doors that things won't quite fit through without 20 minutes of "sofa tetris" and it once again brought home to me how much it's worth getting removal men in.  And I've paid London rates. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    Iamnobody said:
    jellyroll;391654" said:
    How much does it cost (approximately) to move the contents of an average 3 bed house within the same city? Not London rates.

But, we are moving next year and I'm getting too old to be throwing sofas and fridges around! And running out of favours from mates...

we moved a huge amount of stuff (mostly boxes of books) half way across the country, so it was basically a 2 1/2 day move and that cost £2k, which I thought was pretty good value. The loading was done over 2 mornings (we had a lock up full of books to empty which was done the 1st morning) and the second was the household stuff, which was done in about 2 hours. They made it very smooth, I found it all stressful enough without having to worry about loading up a van as well.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Gassage said:
    . I've moved house 21 times

In fairness to your father-in-law, not all people of his age are open-minded and tolerant enough to accept a gypsy into their family.

That said tell him to be bloody careful with my guitar.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24646
    21 times? I don't know who you're running from, but they're very determined. Have you thought about plastic surgery?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I moved with the help of my bro, my dad (70) and his pal (70) about 15 years ago. It went really well as I was in charge and everyone just got stuck in. Hired a big lorry, I got to operate the tail lift so that was me happy!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31119
    I have got the Mohammed Bothers to do the van bit. All going well until they found my Persian rugs, whereupon they got their compass out, found east, washed their hands and I lost 20 mins of my removal time.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I wouldn't let my Out Laws touch any of ma shizzle, barstewards.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16065
    chloroform/ducktape/bondage rope/blindfold/alibi
    tae be or not tae be
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16065
    oh and an orange for the ol' bastirts gub.......
    tae be or not tae be
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Gassage said:
    Mind you I'll be 100m from Chandlers.
    Oh fuck, not the dreaded Sandycombe Rd is it? 

Watch your wing mirrors is all I can say. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Moving is my least favourite thing. I'm planning get rid of as much stuff as I can to make my next move easier. 
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    Gassage said:
    However, my father in law ( who is an uglier version of Peter Florrick) 
    You do realise that one day your fella will look just like his dad don't you?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    If I see another piece of flat pack furniture in my life I'll cry. Yesterday, I enlisted the help of Adam the Handyman. He arrived looking like Ethan Hunt and erected said flat pack at the speed of James Hunt. Amazing man.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    Gassage;393608" said:
    If I see another piece of flat pack furniture in my life I'll cry. Yesterday, I enlisted the help of Adam the Handyman. He arrived looking like Ethan Hunt and erected said flat pack at the speed of James Hunt. Amazing man.
    Has screwing the neck onto the telecaster put you off simple DIY tasks for life?!

Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    Gassage;393608" said:
    Has screwing the neck onto the telecaster put you off simple DIY tasks for life?!

. Blood oath it has

• Gassage said:
    However, my father in law ( who is an uglier version of Peter Florrick) 
    You do realise that one day your fella will look just like his dad don't you?
    :)