Email Notifications

What's Hot
I've had email alerts for new posts enabled for as long as I have been a member but they have never worked for me.

Yesterday saw email alerts suddenly start to appear.  I've not changed anything in my preferences here, or in my email client.

Has the site software been updated, or is it just one of those unexplained phenomena?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26591
    Not exactly "updated", but...fixed. Email notifications are now working for everyone, where they were previously inexplicably broken.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 285
    @digitalscream Thank you for fixing the email notifications and for replying so quickly - much appreciated.  
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 83
    A big thank you to @digitalscream for getting this sorted!
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 304
    Like everyone else affected, I'm really happy to have emails working. However, they seem to go against the grain of accepted forum notifications in that one gets an email for every single post on a thread one has participated in, so I can step away and half an hour later my inbox is bursting because discussion on Gibson / the King went viral.

Surely users should receive get one email per thread until one returns . There are several other issues with the emails but this one is by far the most prominent. Is there an option for this in admin or user settings?

Apart from the headache, it's possibly costing us in because 90% of the emails probably aren't necessary i.e. sending loads for every single post when one would do until each user returns to the thread.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26591
    topdog91 said:
    Like everyone else affected, I'm really happy to have emails working. However, they seem to go against the grain of accepted forum notifications in that one gets an email for every single post on a thread one has participated in, so I can step away and half an hour later my inbox is bursting because discussion on Gibson / the King went viral.

Surely users should receive get one email per thread until one returns . There are several other issues with the emails but this one is by far the most prominent. Is there an option for this in admin or user settings?
    I completely agree, however there's no way to change this behaviour because Vanilla's devs were/are lazy. There's nowhere in the data structure that can be used for tracking it, so there's little else to be done.

Most people just turn off email notifications for discussions they're in, and keep them for discussions they've started.
    <space for hire>