FRFR Cabs?

What's Hot
I'm finally in a happy place with my HX Stomp (bass and guitar) but outside of the studio I only hear it through headphones, I was looking at practice amps but if I get a decent FRFR cab I'll have all the amps in the Stomp.

What's the best out there and are they like regular cabs where someone will love Vintage 30s and another loves Greenbacks?

Or do I invest in some decent speakers for my Mac (again I just use headphones with that)?

More than one question, sorry. This modelling lark has got me in a bit of a spin!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24752
    The Barefaced Big Twin 3 is FRFR. You'll need a power amp of course.

While it's usually advertised as a bass cab it is used by many as a PA cab as well - or by those 1-man-band types who play an instrument / sing / backing tape in larger pubs.

Add the IR / Cab sim of your choice in the Stomp.

Bit spendy though!

Their Big Baby 3 is like a half sized version. Also very loud and flat.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3713
    Is this for playing at home, practice room, monitoring on stage?

True FRFR, if it really existed, would mean that all systems would sound the same and it would simply be a matter of picking the size that was right for the job.    In reality Full Range is less than full, especially when it comes to bass, and Flat Response means flat-ish.

At home I'm playing my modellers through either open backed headphones (AKG 702 or Sennheiser HD650) or Neumann KH80 studio monitors.  When I play live we use Yamaha DXR12's for FoH and, whilst these are nominally FRFR, the sound isn't the same as what I'm hearing through my studio monitors (there will also be differences due to volume and room acoustics).  Monitoring on stage may be in-ears or a wedge or I've even used my old Adam A5 studio monitors mounted on a stand at head height.  Any of these will sound different to the FoH, but all I need is to be able to hear myself and the other instruments clearly enough to perform.

• I am struggling the same as ...

Can't decide if I need studio monitors or PA speakers.  I occasionally do stuff in Ableton (so basic that critical sound not necessary).  More often I am playing backing tracks or a drum machine.  And a bit of direct out from Boss me-90.  All at home office volumes.

I am considering a headrush frfr-108 MK2 - although I know the MK1 overheated.  Or, Yamaha DBR-10 quite pricey,  or Pioneer DJ VM-7s look interesting.   
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    @Musicwolf home practice really, I only gig with bass these days and I use inears. That's why I'm wondering if money spent on monitors would be better? 
    @blacknblack The guitarist in my band has the Headrush and tbh I wasn't impressed, could well have been his choice of modeller at the time though as he's been on quite a journey! =)
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 671
    Given your situation monitors every time. You have so much more flexibility at home for just having fun - sitting dead centre on your monitors with two different amps panned is a mighty fine experience to be recommended!

Goes without saying all the stereo options you have as well.

Monitors can also be used for anything on the Mac as well - music and video sounds amazing through a good studio monitor setup.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3713
    I'd go studio monitors.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24752
    @Musicwolf home practice really, I only gig with bass these days and I use inears. That's why I'm wondering if money spent on monitors would be better? 
    In that case ignore my earlier post.

I only gig on bass too. At home I most of the time use a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors and I have been amazingly impressed with them for bass and guitar.

If you need more feel live then get an Eich Bassboard instead to go with your IEMs. EICH BassBoard L | EICH Amplification (eich-amps.com) 

• Chris.BChris.B Frets: 295
    At the Birmingham Guitar Show a few years ago, I had the opportunity to talk to Paul Hindmarsh, who works for Line 6 and makes a lot of their demo videos. 

I was about to by a Helix and wanted some advice on the best cab or speaker for home use.  At the time I was tempted to get a L6 Powercab as it offers good integration with the Helix. 

Paul's advice was that for home use he recommend powered monitor speakers. 

A few years later I am still using a Helix and a pair of Yamaha HS8s.  I'm still just a learner and have no experience to compare it to a valve amp etc. but it's a great set up that provides excellent sounds and huge amounts of volume if required. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4052
    The new Fender cabs look decent, and the Positive Grid cab too.
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 208
    I had a Headrush frfr for my first 18 months of modeling life, switched to a fender fr12 and the difference is immense, so highly recommend the fender 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4784
    The Laney FRFR112/212 cabs are very good, and have cab modelling too. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • robt1291robt1291 Frets: 77
    Voxman said:
    Yep. They are the best I have tried. 
    robt1291 said:
    Voxman said:
    I do like the look of Laney. I've always had a soft spot for Laney amps plus they look like a proper cab as opposed to things like the Headrush.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    edited February 9
    Fender FR12 sounds good, loud, lightweight (12kg) and relatively cheap.

Mine isn’t noisy either. Seems Fender have fixed that earlier issue now.

Not tried the Laney tho.
  • another laney lfr advocate..  110 gigs and still solid
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robt1291robt1291 Frets: 77
    robt1291 said:
    Voxman said:
    I do like the look of Laney. I've always had a soft spot for Laney amps plus they look like a proper cab as opposed to things like the Headrush.
    I may be tempted to sell my Laney LFR212 - I have two 112's that I use mostly. The 2x12 is gathering dust.

I went with the Laney purely because it gave me a better in the room feeling. Yes, they weigh more than other options. But it edges it for me over everything else.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 841
    Anyone tried one of those Harley Benton FRFR’s? Seem reasonable for the money, as I can’t stretch to much more at the min, especially for a one off gig later this year
  • I had made my mind up that studio monitors were the right choice for me.  HS7s or maybe HS5s.   And then the Laney FRFR 112 came along!   And now I can’t decide again!  LOL. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4354
    edited February 7
    I had made my mind up that studio monitors were the right choice for me.  HS7s or maybe HS5s.   And then the Laney FRFR 112 came along!   And now I can’t decide again!  LOL. 
    I'm in the same place.

I always assumed I'd get an FRFR cab. But monitors at home do seem like a sensible option.

Eventually I'll probably end up getting both. But in the mean time, choices, choices.

(I haven't even decided which modeller to get yet! lol )

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to