Flying V feedback woes

What's Hot
ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
My V is making lots of noise. I use an SD1 in to an overdriven amp so some feedback is to be expected but this gets really noisey. I don't think the pickup is microphonic as if ~i talk in to it it doesn't get amplified at all  but any tap or knock on the body results much more noise than on any other my other guitars. Any ideas or tips?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    What is said pickup? Is it wax potted?
    Tim
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    its a fairly new JB. I believe it is wax potted
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    1) Replace the height adjustment springs with rubber tubing sections.

2) Pack compressible foam into the pickup cavities, beneath the humbuckers.

3) Both of the above.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1358
    My experience is that Vs are quite “lively” for solid guitars so they’ll do the good kind of feedback at reasonable levels. They aren’t liable to nasty, uncontrollable, microphonic squealing or “handling noise” though. 

Your issue is much more likely to be with the pickups, their mountings, or something on the electrical side than anything “structural”. If it’s mechanical “handling noise” it could even be a loose jack socket, flaky pot, loose/bad solder joint, or some other connectivity thing…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
    tFB Trader
    Reverend said:
    My V is making lots of noise. I use an SD1 in to an overdriven amp so some feedback is to be expected but this gets really noisey. I don't think the pickup is microphonic as if ~i talk in to it it doesn't get amplified at all  but any tap or knock on the body results much more noise than on any other my other guitars. Any ideas or tips?
    Worth foam packing the pickup routs ... however ...

What can happen with Gibson Vs in particular if they have been fitted with aftermarket short leg pickups is that in order to raise the pickup high enough to be close to the strings, the springs get 'coil bound' and effectively become metal tubes ... having no damping action at all. I would check this isn't the case. Shorten the springs if necessary or replace with silicone rubber tube.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Reverend said:
    Production line, open bobbin, SH-4 and TB-4 model JB humbuckers have wax potted coils. 

Production line examples with factory fitted covers receive secondary potting inside the covers.

Antiquity JB humbuckers are not supplied with metal covers.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Reverend said:
    Production line, open bobbin, SH-4 and TB-4 model JB humbuckers have wax potted coils. 

Production line examples with factory fitted covers receive secondary potting inside the covers.

Antiquity JB humbuckers are not supplied with metal covers.
    its a zebra one so id guess potted.
    Reverend said:

What can happen with Gibson Vs in particular if they have been fitted with aftermarket short leg pickups is that in order to raise the pickup high enough to be close to the strings, the springs get 'coil bound' and effectively become metal tubes ... having no damping action at all. I would check this isn't the case. Shorten the springs if necessary or replace with silicone rubber tube.  
    cheers. any particular type of foam I should look for?
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 286
    Reverend said:
    Reverend said:

cheers. any particular type of foam I should look for?
    The black foam that comes in Seymour Duncan pickup boxes is ideal, and around the correct shape already.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    silly question perhaps, but where is best to get get the silicon tubing?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    Axesrus or you can get it from Amazon, search for food grade silicone tube or medical tube
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    edited February 16
    Reverend said:
    silly question perhaps, but where is best to get get the silicon tubing?
    I've bought some just this week from this eBay seller:

1M Food Grade Clear Translucent Silicone Tube Beer Milk Hose Pipe Soft Rubber | eBay

It's maybe not quite as "squishy" as the ready-made rubber/silicone tubing "springs" you can get from Allparts, WD or Axesrus, but I think it'll do the job OK, and it's cheaper. 

The right size to use for pickup springs is, as far as I could determine, 3mm inner diameter and 7mm outside diameter, although I guess it's not too crucial (I was buying it to put inside trem springs to try to stop them buzzing/ringing, the 7mm turned out to be too big for that).