1 x Ivison NGD & 1 not so new

What's Hot
CollingsCollings Frets: 413
edited February 6 in Guitar
I picked up my new Hurricane Std last week from Neil so thought I would share a couple of images and some details given @IvisonGuitars is an active forum member.

This is actually my second Hurricane as I also brought a Hurricane 59 from Neil towards the end of last year via one of Neil's dealers, Leo & Teds, which really impressed me hence ordering another.

For anyone not familiar with the Hurricane Std it is based on a combination of a 50s Std, Jnr and Special but with Neil's original body shape and headstock. It has a slab mahogany body with a lightly carved maple cap and mahogany neck. Tuners and bridge are both Faber with the bridge being a compensated wraparound. Pickups are both Sunbear with a P90 in the neck and a PAF type humbucker at the bridge. Controls are a single vol and tone with a toggle selector.

The Hurricane 59 takes the Hurricane and moves the specs closer to the classic std with two humbuckers, a bound fingerboard and a more traditional carved top along with the traditional 2 vol/2 tone control layout.

I goes without saying given the growing reputation of Ivison both guitars sound and play superbly. As you can imagine given their similar specs for wood and bridge pickup they sound similar in the bridge position but I would say the 59 is a little more "polished" with the std being maybe more aggressive/raw in a good way. They certainly make you play differently which is what I hoped for.

I have attached some pics below, some of which were taken by Neil upon completion.

For anyone considering an Ivison I would say you would not be disappointed and both Neil and Leo & Teds are great to deal with.

I just need a Dakota now! 

0reaction image LOL 21reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 518
    Man,  I want one of those Hurricanes so bad. Beautiful.
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 142
    Beautiful things. I’m looking at getting a P90/HB sunbear set, how do you find them?
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    MSedg said:
    Beautiful things. I’m looking at getting a P90/HB sunbear set, how do you find them?
    I'm a big fan of Sunbear's and have a set of their PAF's in one of my other guitars in addition to the Ivisons.

I think the P90/Hum combination works really well and in the case of the Sunbear's they balance well together in terms of their output so no massive jump in output when switching between the two. The P90 has a lovely clearer tone in the neck position.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Stunners! 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    Nice lester. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10236
    Neil's work is superb.
    I think Leo and teds have some lovely Dakotas on the way. Both a Pelham and antique white. Both stunning
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5229
    edited February 10
    Collings said: I picked up my new Hurricane Std last week from Neil so thought I would share a couple of images and some details given @IvisonGuitars is an active forum member.

This is actually my second Hurricane as I also brought a Hurricane 59 from Neil towards the end of last year via one of Neil's dealers, Leo & Teds, which really impressed me hence ordering another.

Correct, you do. Difficult to choose between a Dakota Standard and a Dakota ‘65 though…  
    Neil certainly does make fabulous guitars.

260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
    edited February 10
    I’m loving the Strap….tell me more @fretfinder ;;; 3

The Hurricane ‘59 is pretty much my dream guitar  <3
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Glad I'm sitting down. Phewph
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    Collings said: I picked up my new Hurricane Std last week from Neil so thought I would share a couple of images and some details given @IvisonGuitars is an active forum member.

Correct, you do. Difficult to choose between a Dakota Standard and a Dakota ‘65 though…  
    Neil certainly does make fabulous guitars.

That 65 looks fantastic. I remember Neil posing some pics of it on his Facebook feed when it was completed and I did consider it at the time but decided to order the H59. A D65 might suit be as I'm a big P90 fan.