minimalistic pedalbaord journey

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
edited October 2014 in FX
so...a few months ago I got a marshall super bass amp...and i decided that as a result i would reduce the number of pedals on my board to get closer to my amp and for that to be a bigger part of my sound. 

Today, i took the final step on that journey, and hardest one, by taking off the compressor. This was the hardest, because i've had the compressor on my board for about 3yrs and also its always been on...but today i let go and i feel better for it! ;)

the best part is that now i can hear the amp in my base tone and even with the gain engaged, its still maintains the amp and guitar tone, which is wonderful. The other by-product is that with less pedals on the board, i don't find myself switching on and off pedals to play around with different sounds,I just play guitar, and it just feels actually quite refreshing to not have a bunch of stuff to click on.

so...pictorially, this is whats happened...

now i'm considering getting a smaller pedalboard...so i never go back to those first boards!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• i'm also trying this...........it never works for me, lol.

Well done!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    You? A minimalist? Piss and poo to you good sir!
  • I have dropped from 14 to 7 recently and I am glad of the change. 

I had to buy a bigger board though (I was using 2 kinsmanns), just for space between the pedals so I dont clobber something undesired when I engage my delay etc. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited October 2014
    to be honest...i could even lose the Ghost Echo and be down to 6 pedals and i will be fine.

but i need to get a smaller board...today I found myself looking at that empty spot on the board, thinking...i could do with a overdrive pedal...<insert face palm gif>
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    Ever time I try to go small, I always end up going large again a few months later. I can't help myself!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24844
    What's the big 2 button black pedal in the 1 st pic?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

What's the big 2 button black pedal in the 1 st pic?
    Black Arts Sarcophagus...its a Pharaoh and LSTR fuzz in one box.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I went from a monster board down to two drive pedals, two delays, reverb and my amp's boost switch. Definitely sound better for it and am tempted to scale back further!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3098
    I now only have a Polytune mini, a HOF Mini and an EHX Signal pad, works for me, I've gone right off pedals, always fucking and faffing with them, not any more, now I just play.....still badly....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• mike257 said:
    I went from a monster board down to two drive pedals, two delays, reverb and my amp's boost switch. Definitely sound better for it and am tempted to scale back further!
    Not far off mine, really:

I deliberately try to keep it simple. I don't  even particularly need the boost or the Flashback, to be honest; they're just there for an extra bit of flexibility should I feel the need during a song. The point of my board is to add to what the amp does rather than replace it. That's why there's no distortion or overdrive on there.
    <space for hire>
    digitalscream said:The point of my board is to add to what the amp does rather than replace it. That's why there's no distortion or overdrive on there.

@digitalscream mate, you nailed it with that comment...thats my intention...to Add to what my guitar and amp is doing.

since last night, i'm also thinking of getting rid of my pedaltrain 2 and all the surplus pedals and get a smaller pedalboard...i feel like if i do that, then i also restrict myself and remove temptation of going big again...without significant cost.

I might hit the smaller smorg boards with a riser...just not sure if my wah and volume would fit with a riser on it...

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    That's pretty much how I approached it - I stashed my big board in the garage (have since traded it on) and built a DIY board to fit a small case I had lying around. It's pretty similar in size and layout to digitalscream's board with the riser on the back row. Forced me to limit myself. I could probably fit a few more on there but I'm resisting so far!