Bolt guitars.

What's Hot
FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 658
I've enjoyed the Studio Rats video's of them making one of these guitars.
There is not a chance of me doing the build. Simply not my thing.

I am interested in getting one ready made.

Has anyone got one?
They are on special right now and the price seems to be very appealing.https://boltguitars.co.uk/product/thunder-road-vintage-t-style/

I'd ask them to put some BKP 52 Tele pups in it but save that......

I sold my Mexican tele and do rather miss it now I am getting back into playing again.

A good value for money guitar or not?
Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
FX Plex - Cornell Romany
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    We “made” one here a while back.

Its not really “making” though, most time went into the finishing followed by a bit of assembly.

Good quality components, the neck was a stunning piece of flamed maple, fretwork nicely finished.

If you want one made for you, then I’d say it’d be a few days (elapsed) of someone’s time that you’d need to pay for, which will add to the price quite considerably.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2161
    I tried to buy one,but it was too fast for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    I tried to buy one,but it was too fast for me.
    That's nuts.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 658
    TTony said:
    We “made” one here a while back.

Its not really “making” though, most time went into the finishing followed by a bit of assembly.

Good quality components, the neck was a stunning piece of flamed maple, fretwork nicely finished.

If you want one made for you, then I’d say it’d be a few days (elapsed) of someone’s time that you’d need to pay for, which will add to the price quite considerably.
    Shocking. 

FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4507
    TTony said:

There's a "build it for me" option on the site that adds £120 which doesn't seem too bad to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Lewy said:
    TTony said:

There's a "build it for me" option on the site that adds £120 which doesn't seem too bad to me.
    That sounds very reasonable!

Plus, they're the experts with their finishing kit, so you should get a very good result.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Lewy said:
    TTony said:

That sounds very reasonable!

Plus, they're the experts with their finishing kit, so you should get a very good result.
    That would be choice. Built, it comes in a £510 ish. 
    Not sure if that is great value considering I would get the pups changed. 

FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    edited February 10
    I don't understand why you have already decided that you want to install your own choice of pickups before hearing the custom wound ones supplied with the kit?
    From what I have seen of the kits they use high quality components and I'm sure the pickups will be of equally good quality.
    Assuming you already have your own pickups and like them (no guarantee they will sound the same in different guitars though), perhaps you could ask Sam at Bolt Guitars whether he would be prepared to take a bit off the overall price and fit your pickups instead of his.  I suppose the amount would depend on how much they pay for their pickups.  I have a feeling they are a small enough enterprise whereby they keep a stock of each individual component and assemble the boxed kits to order rather than buying in the ready boxed kits and adding the finishing products to them when specified by a customer, which could lead to them having a spare unused set of pickups lying around gathering dust if they were not used for a kit.

I can see sense in wanting to have the guitar built for you.  The actual assembly of a very well made kit is the lesser part of the job by far.  Less well made kits can be a pain getting everything to line up with pre-drilled holes, etc.  In the case of Bolt Guitars the assembly should be problem free and to very close tolerances though.  Finishing has always been the issue that puts most people off building their own kits, and a good kit can easily be spoiled by a poor quality finish, so I can see a lot of sense in paying what I think is a very reasonable price for the kit to be built and finished for you.  For £510 (or a little bit less if you were able to get a discount for supplying your own pickups) I think you will get a guitar that, if bought new as a known brand production model, would probably retail for around the £1,000 mark or perhaps more, but it would be different from run-of-the-mill production models and sit halfway between them and fully custom built guitar that would cost many times more.

That's the hardest part to decide, or certainly would be for me.  For roughly the same price I could buy a new FGN Boundary Iliad which is roughly a Tele shape but not a bog standard Tele copy.  They are pretty good quality guitars for the price but are the "affordable" models despite having compound radius fretboards.  You would pay around £900 to £1,000 for the FGN J Standard Iliad models with Seymour Duncan pickups, and I think they would be more on a par with the Bolt kit asembled and finished for you.  There are plenty other makes and models for comparison purposes.

I assume you have already read the threads about Bolt Guitars here?:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 11
    Re-the last post; Thanks.
    I will ask about a 'ready made' option with some pups sent to them. 
    I had a set of BKP pups in my old MexTele. Country Boy I think. Sounded like honey. 

The idea of a flamed neck sounds very cool indeed
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13588
    FastEddie said:
     Sounded like honey. 

kept buzzing ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    Lewy said:
    TTony said:

Having built one kit (to a not very high standard :( ) and refinished another, this time to a level that I’m happy with, I’d say £120 offers excellent value. 
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom