Fake strings----again.

What's Hot
andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
Just been stung again, I have a thread on here somewhere with my last experience buying fake EB's from e-bay.
Usual story, advice is only buy from reputable sellers etc, but it has been a while since I needed to buy any, and my previous experience told me that 'usually' buying a triple pack of EB was somewhat less likely to result in fakery.
My only option here is to buy online, and I'm sure this problem also affects retailers anyway.
This time the ad was for a 3 pack, and was suspiciously cheap, so I thought I'd give it a go.
Maybe the UK/US trade deals have resulted in cheaper prices post Brexit?? maybe???
Anyhoo, sure enough, strings arrive and it is in fact 3 packs, and not a 3pack, and I can immediately tell by the packaging that these are likely to be fake.
Contacted the seller, as in the first case he is selling fakes, and in my case, he has not sold as advertised anyway.
His reply is that he can assure me they are genuine, as advertised.
I have replied again, this time telling him that his ad was misleading anyway, so I have a case, and if it isn't resolved I will be taking it to ebay, as he is selling fake goods, fair enough, he will claim he bought them in good faith, but I still ended up with fake strings.
I think I know, before opening them that they will be fake, and have now ordered 2 sets of triple packs, from different vendors, to try and confirm my theory, that the triple packs are genuine, and the single packs on ebay are mostly fake, packaging changes I know, but there are a few 'tells', before we even get to the actual strings inside.
Makes me wonder where the fakery stops really, if they have flooded the market to this degree with fake niche products such as every variation of EB string.
Also makes me wonder if anybody even cares anymore, there must be a lot of money sloshing around Ebay and Paypal, that is generated by the sale of such things, therefore no appetite to have it stop.
I'll follow up with my experience when I get the new sets, and see what the fake seller does.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3535
    This time the ad was for a 3 pack, and was suspiciously cheap, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Well... :astonished: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28097
    andy_k said:
    Also makes me wonder if anybody even cares anymore, there must be a lot of money sloshing around Ebay and Paypal, that is generated by the sale of such things, therefore no appetite to have it stop.
    As long as there are fools ("and was suspiciously cheap") willing to buy, there'll be fakers looking to sell.

It'll sound harsh, but the fools are as much of a problem as the fakers.

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/
    Great service, sensible pricing, no fakes.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 20reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    tFB Trader
    Most/all genuine retailers with a shop front buy EB strings from Strings and Things - UK distribution for over 30 years- As such all genuine- As such I dare say all ‘fakes’ are not genuine retailers  in the first place- I believe Strings and Things only sell to genuine shops with retail premises or genuine workshops and/or legit luthiers- none of those and no account 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1268

Honestly, when will people learn.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4824
    edited February 11
    I had a similar experience last year with fake EB strings and possibly even the same seller prior to threads here that made me wiser and alerted me to just how prevalent this was. I tried one set that was useless and two strings broke in a matter of days. Checked on YouTube and these were fakes. So I complained and was told if I returned the two unopened they'd refund me. I refused as I didn't want these back in circulation, and any refund should be for all three anyway. I then complained to Ebay and PayPal who were stuck because their systems required returning the items before they could give a refund.

They both agreed it was a crazy situation, and understood why I wouldn't return these.  Eventually PayPal gave me a good will credit for all 3 packs. It wasn't the money, it was the principal. I even wrote to Ernie Ball recommending they adopt a similar system to D'addario with coded packs that could be verified, but this fell on deaf ears.  They did however say:

We are aware of counterfeit products on popular online auction sites. We will endeavour to remove any listings on eBay that are selling counterfeit goods but this is moving fast daily. If you can provide the listing link we can report this on eBay.  Please raise a complaint on eBay who may still be able to provide a refund to recover your lost funds.  For future Ernie Ball purchases, we recommend purchasing your Ernie Ball Strings from a reputable music store or genuine online music store.  

So the situation is effectively uncontrollable, & EBay can't/won't do anything (they didn't even remove the listing.

The only reason I bought these was because EBs are packed individually whereas Daddario have 2 strings wrapped together, and single packets are more convenient if a string broke at a gig. I was also assured pre-purchase that these EBs were genuine (lies of course).  D'Addario's are my usual strings and because of the coding system security are now the only strings I'll continue to buy and I won't buy strings from EBay anymore (unless its a bona-fide retailer).  D'addario's customer service is great - if you've been sold fakes they'll test them, pursue action against the vendors and replace them.  And the security coding means you can check these before opening (and you get player circle points) so if the codes aren't recognised, you have proof these are fake. I'm not suggesting fake D'addarios aren't still possible & around, but the sealed packaging, coding, and twin string wrapping likely make this harder work for fakers and helps keep fakes less common whereas strings like EB are a much easier target.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 337
    time was when a 'packet of three' meant something entirely different ...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRees said:
    time was when a 'packet of three' meant something entirely different ...
    Yeah I remember Stevie Marriott playing in them, great times !!!!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carlos said:

Well... :astonished: 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1118
    andy_k said:
    Just been stung again, I have a thread on here somewhere with my last experience buying fake EB's from e-bay.
    Usual story, advice is only buy from reputable sellers etc, but it has been a while since I needed to buy any, and my previous experience told me that 'usually' buying a triple pack of EB was somewhat less likely to result in fakery.
    My only option here is to buy online, and I'm sure this problem also affects retailers anyway.
    Maybe the UK/US trade deals have resulted in cheaper prices post Brexit?? maybe???
    Anyhoo, sure enough, strings arrive and it is in fact 3 packs, and not a 3pack, and I can immediately tell by the packaging that these are likely to be fake.
    Contacted the seller, as in the first case he is selling fakes, and in my case, he has not sold as advertised anyway.
    His reply is that he can assure me they are genuine, as advertised.
    I have replied again, this time telling him that his ad was misleading anyway, so I have a case, and if it isn't resolved I will be taking it to ebay, as he is selling fake goods, fair enough, he will claim he bought them in good faith, but I still ended up with fake strings.
    I think I know, before opening them that they will be fake, and have now ordered 2 sets of triple packs, from different vendors, to try and confirm my theory, that the triple packs are genuine, and the single packs on ebay are mostly fake, packaging changes I know, but there are a few 'tells', before we even get to the actual strings inside.
    Makes me wonder where the fakery stops really, if they have flooded the market to this degree with fake niche products such as every variation of EB string.
    I'll follow up with my experience when I get the new sets, and see what the fake seller does.
    Is there seriously even a latent 1% of you that's still "on the fence" about these strings' authenticity?

Was there even 1% of you that believed Brexit would result in a trade deal with the US?

P.S. I'm selling some magic beans. PM me for details... ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7069
    Change your thought process. 
    Rather than think they’re cheap EB strings, think they’re really cheap ass strings that you’re paying a premium for as the have been made to look like EB ones! Do they seem such a bargain now?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7441
    I bought some Elixirs from Cash Converters a few weeks ago and as soon as I got out the shop I thought what have I just done that for? Got to the car and opened them and the packets tell you to 'vidit' elixirstrings.com. Everything on them looked perfect apart from that but I'm sure they'll have been fake.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 537
    Bought a few packs of EXL from eBay last year - decent price but not alarmingly low. 

Arrived and had punched-holes in the ‘corrosion-resistant’ packaging - so that set off alarm bells. Checked the other packs and they all had the same serial number. 

Fortunately, I contacted the seller and they offered me 20% back - but as soon as I threatened reporting them for counterfeits, they gave me a full refund. 

Reported them anyway, to D’addario and eBay. Pricks. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1268
    Are there not enough proper online shops to buy from instead of eBay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3140
    What's wrong with them? Are you concerned about legit business going under, handling counterfeit goods, or were they rubbish? Are you annoyed that your consumer rights are being undermined? You pays your money ....
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1118
    DefaultM said:
    I bought some Elixirs from Cash Converters a few weeks ago and as soon as I got out the shop I thought what have I just done that for? Got to the car and opened them and the packets tell you to 'vidit' elixirstrings.com. Everything on them looked perfect apart from that but I'm sure they'll have been fake.
    Elixirs are the easiest fakes to spot.

No-one coats strings in the same way.

If you look at the wrap wire near the ball end or near the other end before you can see the inner core wire you will clearly see where the coating starts on a genuine Elixir string.

If you can see this, it's genuine.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3694
    Everything on EBay is either stolen, fake or broken, thats just the way it is.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 317
    I bought some fakes a few weeks ago. EBay assured me I would get the refund if I hadn’t heard anything from the seller within 2 days. The seller got back in touch and refunded me and asked me to delete the negative feedback. Needless to say I didn’t. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 365
    ebay has gone downhill.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 888
    Wait till they offer them in a 6 pack that’s cheaper than the 3 pack, and they’ll be the right ones.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8864
    Can I suggest Newstrings. You buy straight from the man who makes them. You know what you’re getting. In my experience they last longer, which compensates for the slightly higher unit price.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom