Pickup recommendations (HS PRS...)

What's Hot
humps.bhumps.b Frets: 6
edited February 11 in Guitar
I've got myself a PRS SE Standard 24, and decided I want a single coil in the neck with a bridge humbucker. The coil split just wasn't good enough in the neck. I've ordered a Schaller E+ megaswitch to open up a few possibilities. I'll be playing cliché stuff, probably in Eb, from Hendrix to GnR to Metallica. 

In the neck, I've got a Creamery Sonic Six, which is an improvement but not everything I'd hoped. I have a 500k resistor on order, to reduce the pot value, and also an Alegree Frostbite, in case I prefer that tone.

As for the bridge, I'm at a loss. I thought I'd go for an alnico V of some sort, since I assumed it would be better under gain, but having heard a comparison with an alnico II Irongear TeslaShark yesterday, which sounded clearer, I'm confused. Ideally, it wouldn't be too out of balance, with the neck, which will be around 8 or 9k (but single coil).

As for brands, I'm interested in Oil City, Alegree etc., or any of the cheaper brands like Tonerider. 

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14841
    In my experience, all-mahogany PRS SE guitars invariably work well with P90s.

For regular humbucker-sized cavities, you would be looking at Duncan Phat Cats, Bare Knuckle HSP models, Alegree et al.

A combination that is working well in my PRS S2 Singlecut is Oil City Winterizer II (neck) and Scrapyard Dog Plus (bridge). 

Other makes are available.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • humps.bhumps.b Frets: 6
    Thanks for the reply FF. I had been wondering about putting a P90 in the neck... I'll see how the Frostbite sounds and then reconsider.

Have you tried a Nightfighter compared to the Scrapyard Dog Plus? I've been looking at both. 
    Compared both models in the same position? No.

NF4 neck and SYD+ bridge is a combination that I have purchased more than once.

humps.b said:
    I'll see how the Frostbite sounds and then reconsider.
    Visit the Alegree Pickups website clearance section. Lurking amongst the bargains is a Frigid Haze Stratocaster pickup in a humbucker cover. Could have been made for you.  :)
    Haha I'll have three neck single coils and still no bridge at this rate!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11153
    tFB Trader
    humps.b said:
    Thanks for the reply FF. I had been wondering about putting a P90 in the neck... I'll see how the Frostbite sounds and then reconsider.

Have you tried a Nightfighter compared to the Scrapyard Dog Plus? I've been looking at both. 
    There are two Nightfighters ... the alnico 4 and the alnico 2 custom ...  The alnico 4 version is a PAF on steroids design. The alnico 2 version was actually originally designed for replacing problematic PRS pickups. A slightly hotter Tesla Shark if you like. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    humps.b said:
    PRS SE Standard 24 … The coil split just wasn't good enough in the neck.
    That is partly due to the fairly generic, Korean-made, stock humbuckers and partly because the SE employs a straightforward coil split whereas the USA instruments have partial coil split via resistors.

The stock SE neck humbucker is of approximately 8k. Hence, the split reading will be an underwhelming 4k. Only a monstrously powerful magnet could save it.

humps.b said:
    I've ordered a Schaller E+ megaswitch to open up a few possibilities. 
    This suggests that you will be wishing to access a mixture of humbucking and true single coil sounds. Might be worthwhile choosing pickups that are designed to do both. e.g. Duncan The Mag and Stag Mag, Alegree Chameleon or Oil City Brass Knuckle.

humps.b said:
    In the neck, I've got a Creamery Sonic Six, which is an improvement but not everything I'd hoped.
    The Sonic Six construction and specs remind me of G&L Jumbo MFD pickups. (Think twangy P90s.) If you are not impressed by the Sonic Six, you probably wouldn't enjoy P90s either.

When your experimentation ends, you should have little difficulty finding buyers for any "reject" pickups.
    humps.b said:

There are two Nightfighters ... the alnico 4 and the alnico 2 custom ...  The alnico 4 version is a PAF on steroids design. The alnico 2 version was actually originally designed for replacing problematic PRS pickups. A slightly hotter Tesla Shark if you like. 
    Thanks for the advice. I just tried finding some clips, and a video for the Nightfighter sounded pretty much perfect!! I'm not sure if it was the A2 or 4, and don't really know which to choose. My neck pickup has a chrome cover - do you think the nickel one would match ok? 
    humps.b said:
    PRS SE Standard 24 … The coil split just wasn't good enough in the neck.
    That is partly due to the fairly generic, Korean-made, stock humbuckers and partly because the SE employs a straightforward coil split whereas the USA instruments have partial coil split via resistors.

The stock SE neck humbucker is of approximately 8k. Hence, the split reading will be an underwhelming 4k. Only a monstrously powerful magnet could save it.

humps.b said:
    I've ordered a Schaller E+ megaswitch to open up a few possibilities. 
    This suggests that you will be wishing to access a mixture of humbucking and true single coil sounds. Might be worthwhile choosing pickups that are designed to do both. e.g. Duncan The Mag and Stag Mag, Alegree Chameleon or Oil City Brass Knuckle.

humps.b said:
    In the neck, I've got a Creamery Sonic Six, which is an improvement but not everything I'd hoped.
    The Sonic Six construction and specs remind me of G&L Jumbo MFD pickups. (Think twangy P90s.) If you are not impressed by the Sonic Six, you probably wouldn't enjoy P90s either.

When your experimentation ends, you should have little difficulty finding buyers for any "reject" pickups.
    Tbh, I bought the Megaswitch because I wanted a split on the switch instead of a push pull (I don't like them, and the pot itself turns in the wind!) and the options sounded cool. It's out of stock though and I'm thinking of cancelling the order tbh, as I'll spend 90% of my time on either bridge or neck. Just one simple middle position would do me - I don't care about bridge split alone. 

I looked into doing a partial split, and it did sound like it improved things for people, but I find neck humbuckers a bit woolly in general so figured I'd just whip it out and get a full-time single coil. Thanks for the info on the sonic six comparison. I think the 500k pot might be the source of my dissatisfaction, since it's a bit ear piercing and doesn't sound very full... Lowering the tone pot helps, but the taper isn't great and it does lose something. Fingers crossed either the resistor or Frostbite sorts that position. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2917
    Just snagged a Strat with some of Ashes Oil City pickups in, I can’t find a bad tone in any position !!!

Riot Act neck and Beano bridge. Mega sensitive to tone and volume and huge breadth of tones.  
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3392
    I liked a Dimarzio HS2 in the neck and the PRS HFS(USA )in the bridge on a 1st Gen SE Santana I had. Worked very well for my needs (90’s grunge and a touch of metal). 
    Thanks for the pointers guys. I've generally stayed away from forums/Reddit for quite a while due to toxicity/people talking out their arse or chasing hype, so this has been a very welcoming first post! 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2917
    humps.b said:
    Thanks for the pointers guys. I've generally stayed away from forums/Reddit for quite a while due to toxicity/people talking out their arse or chasing hype, so this has been a very welcoming first post! 
    Give it time mate hahah :) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    humps.b said:
    people talking out their arse
    Objection. I'm talking out of my tracheotomy blowhole. ;)

Usually, what you get here is people trying to steer you away from the pickup make/model of which you first thought and towards the make/model that they just happen to have listed for sale in the Parts £ section. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 26
    By way of an update, as I hate finding niche posts via Google that are perpetually unresolved...

I never got round to trying a resistor to lower the pot value on the Sonic Six. The Alegree Frostbite arrived, so I just chucked that in quickly for comparison on 500k pots. It seems to be a lot higher output, darker, and more P90 like. It also handles high gain remarkably well, so I'm keeping it! The Sonic Six does sound a lot more like a traditional single coil side by side, but it was better suited for cleaner than I play, and I didn't need the twang. 

There is still a hole where my bridge pickup should be. I imagine I'll end up with a Nightfighter 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11153
    tFB Trader
    humps.b said:
    By way of an update, as I hate finding niche posts via Google that are perpetually unresolved...

I never got round to trying a resistor to lower the pot value on the Sonic Six. The Alegree Frostbite arrived, so I just chucked that in quickly for comparison on 500k pots. It seems to be a lot higher output, darker, and more P90 like. It also handles high gain remarkably well, so I'm keeping it! The Sonic Six does sound a lot more like a traditional single coil side by side, but it was better suited for cleaner than I play, and I didn't need the twang. 

There is still a hole where my bridge pickup should be. I imagine I'll end up with a Nightfighter 
    Might be one of those coming up soon in the Oil City  'workshop clearance' classifieds ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Haha thanks for the heads up Ash! I don't suppose it has a cover on it? My neck pickup is chrome - would your nickel ones match, or are they brushed? Sorry, I couldn't find a photo