Eagles + Doobie Brother's - May/June - Manchester

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    edited February 13 tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:
    Or you could go to Lytham Festival and see Shania Twain  3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckm3lg56mk6o

I'd have liked to have see Shania for a totally different reason, maybe 20 years or so ago
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    Nitefly said:
    Or you could go to Lytham Festival and see Shania Twain  :3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckm3lg56mk6o

Thanks for the suggestion but that don’t impress me much…
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 286
    You should be able to get on the Metro into the centre of Manchester. I would honestly avoid waking in that vicinity at night. Piccadilly Gardens and it’s surroundings are best avoided.
    I wouldn't worry too much about wandering around Manchester after a gig like that. I was at the Wall gig in Berlin and discovered that when you dump 200K people on a city all at once a: the public transport system pretty much gives up and b: there is definitely safety in numbers. 

Given the likely average age of the crowd I'm expecting strong representation from salesmen for mobility scooters and care homes for the elderly outside the venue afterwards.  
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    The negative is will we get to hear enough of either band - Show starts around 7.30 with Dan -Eagles will want to be on by 9 with a finish around 11-11.30 - So I'm guessing 60 mins max of Dan and only 2 hours maybe 2 hours and 30 mins with The Eagles - But 2 of my fav bands of all time - Seen them both before as headline acts - Maybe I would not go again if just one band, especially at these prices - But both on together, then how can I fail

I've been told, or hinted at, that at some gigs in the USA that the Doobie Bros are the support band - Some show 
    There'll be plenty of recent set lists available on setlist.fm to get an idea of timings Mark (if you don't mind spoilers, not that there'll be many surprises if you've seen the recent Eagles show with Vince & Deacon on Sky Arts) to gauge the playing time & VFM of each band.
  • snowblind said:

Given the likely average age of the crowd I'm expecting strong representation from salesmen for mobility scooters and care homes for the elderly outside the venue afterwards.  
    Yes, and it it does go off, you don't actually have to be able to run fast, just faster than the older people nearby.

For extra points, it is also rare chance to shout the movie cliche 'leave them, they'll only slow us down'.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    tFB Trader
    StefB said:
    The negative is will we get to hear enough of either band - Show starts around 7.30 with Dan -Eagles will want to be on by 9 with a finish around 11-11.30 - So I'm guessing 60 mins max of Dan and only 2 hours maybe 2 hours and 30 mins with The Eagles - But 2 of my fav bands of all time - Seen them both before as headline acts - Maybe I would not go again if just one band, especially at these prices - But both on together, then how can I fail

I've been told, or hinted at, that at some gigs in the USA that the Doobie Bros are the support band - Some show 
    There'll be plenty of recent set lists available on setlist.fm to get an idea of timings Mark (if you don't mind spoilers, not that there'll be many surprises if you've seen the recent Eagles show with Vince & Deacon on Sky Arts) to gauge the playing time & VFM of each band.
    I've seen live clips/shows of the Eagles with Vince and Deacon, but not live in person - Last time I saw them live, Glen was still with us - Seen them 3 times now - And SD have seen them live just once and again  that was when Walter was still with us 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005
    The negative is will we get to hear enough of either band - Show starts around 7.30 with Dan -Eagles will want to be on by 9 with a finish around 11-11.30 - So I'm guessing 60 mins max of Dan and only 2 hours maybe 2 hours and 30 mins with The Eagles 
    I thought most venues, particularly big ones, had like a 10.45pm curfew nowadays?
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    StefB said:

I've seen live clips/shows of the Eagles with Vince and Deacon, but not live in person - Last time I saw them live, Glen was still with us - Seen them 3 times now - And SD have seen them live just once and again  that was when Walter was still with us 
    I saw them at Liverpool Arena in 2019 and you are in for a treat.

Deacon Frey was superfluous in my opinion, there to justify carrying on without Glenn, were justifcation needed, and won't be missed at all.  Like a rabbit in the headlights.

Vince Gill though is absolute class of course and does a wonderful job of respectfully singing Glenn Frey's parts.
  • Calla85Calla85 Frets: 27
    Got tickets for the last night. There was a couple of front row seats available when I was booking but at £750 per ticket, second row of upper tier was much more in my price bracket.

With it being a new arena no "view from my seat" available for just hoping they are decent. 

Seeing Jane's addiction the week before and Pearl Jam have just announced a Manchester date so registered for that too! 

Having been to a gig in about 5 years so making up for it in 2024. 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    I don’t see the sense in spending the price of a decent guitar [ticket + travel + accommodation] on a concert ticket to hear a group like The Eagles going through the motions. A year or more ago I went to see Steeley Dan in concert. They played all their better known songs, played them well but played them without any feeling. Their bass player saved the night for me. But I would not bother going to see them again. Ditto The Eagles. The Eagles were a great band many years ago............
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5779
    There is a great irony in the way that most of the life in left in The Eagles now is Joe Walsh, who by every right should definitely be dead. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I bet it is to late to ask for a refund - Who wants to watch a bunch of old farts, nearly as old as Biden, strum along, aimlessly, to a bunch of songs, written nearly 50 years ago and we are fed up of listening to - I'm obviously going to be watching them 'after the thrill has gone' 
  • Have seen steely dan before, about 20+ years ago, fantastic. But the reality it was always Fagen, Becker and assorted session guys. Now its just Fagen and session guys. Im sure they will sound great but as im not  a huge Eagles fan, i cants justify the 3 hour each way trip plus £200 to see the Dan for an hour.
  • I'd be up for this if The Eagles weren't playing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1025
    edited February 14
    I'd be up for this if The Eagles weren't playing.

Only 2 of them are playing if that's any better?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I always remember a story Stuart Maconie told some 20 years ago about going to see Chas and Dave, and the sign outside the venue said 'not original Dave' on it. Could Steely Dan do the same?
  • I'd be up for this if The Eagles weren't playing.
    I'd be up for this if the 2 of them weren't playing
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1359
    I always remember a story Stuart Maconie told some 20 years ago about going to see Chas and Dave, and the sign outside the venue said 'not original Dave' on it. Could Steely Dan do the same?
    You mean something like "not original Dan" ?
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005
    I always remember a story Stuart Maconie told some 20 years ago about going to see Chas and Dave, and the sign outside the venue said 'not original Dave' on it. Could Steely Dan do the same?
    I think it would only be necessary if the original band members were called Donald Steely and Walter Dan.
    tFB Trader
    Change of line up - Steely Dan can't do the support slot, for whatever reason - So now it is the Doobie Bros - I believe the DB's are touring in this slot in the USA - Bonus in away for me as I like the DB's but never seen them - I do like Steely Dan and would watch them on their own, again, anytime - But don't see this as a negative at all - Looking forward to the gig