Boss OD-200 opinions?

What's Hot
spev11spev11 Frets: 327
Having waded through quite a few overdrives and distortions I'm warming to the idea of the OD-200 to compliment my Plethora X3 (and it'll make for a compact and simple board). I see I can stack two together using the boost as on of the drives so thats ok. Does it sound good though? I've got a Waza Air headphone and I like most of the drives in there so I'd imagine they are not dissimilar , although it does say its both digital and analogue but little info as to what is what.
Weigh in everyone, let me know if its a crap idea
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Well. I really like the OD-2 but I wouldn't want 100 of them...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 327
    bugger, you made me question if it was actually OD-200 (it is but I had to go check)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    Great fun. Loads of usable things in there.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• AdamBatAdamBat Frets: 18
    I really liked it when I was using it, I only really stopped because I liked being able to chop and change pedals. The sounds in it are great though
    My other thinking is a DS1 and a SD1 and keep life simple (and cheaper)
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    MIDI implementation isn't the slickest, if you are thinking of using it with the X3 that way.
    I was thinking of using my Airstep with the Midi but only to switch in and out of the Gate maybe.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I believe the drives are the same as the GT-1000 (Which I have)

That being the case the Klon and SD-1 models are pretty close, but I still prefer the originals when I A/B (If I didn't actually have them I wouldn't care and would use the GT)

Where it shines IMO is the DS-1X and SD-1X models which use the MDP multi band technology and sound massive and quite unlike anything else. Awesome for dropped tunings, complex chords with distortion, etc. 
    ah thats good, I currently have no distortions or overdrives other than the TH30 second channel and an Ibanez Mini Fuzz so I have nothing to A/B so i'll likely be happy
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    edited February 13
    I've got the OD-200. Functionality is excellent.

But I've never got on with the tones. It all sounds a bit harsh to me. 

The MDP stuff is good though. 

• Boss OD3 for light to mid level crunch is hard to beat.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I reckon the HX One drives would be good. Haven't tried it though
    ah , hadn't thought of the HX one, will go have a read, although isnt it a case of only 1 effect at a time so no stacking?

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    spev11 said:
    ah , hadn't thought of the HX one, will go have a read, although isnt it a case of only 1 effect at a time so no stacking?

Correct one at a time. 

I happen to be a fan of the HX drives. Others disagree. But I really rate a bunch of them - klon, Timmy, Rat, Red Llama, SD-1, King of Tone and the 'Walled Bunny' overdrive are all good. Not quite got on with the DS-1 though, though that's true of the real thing as well. 

A HX FX allows for stacking (the Legacy Tube Comp makes everything sound beefier) but also parallel processing too. So you can have a ICBM fuzz and a Dod250 mixed in parallel with each other, and just add mods or verb to the overdrive side, for example, or else mix a Timmy and a Klon to taste that goes wat beyond just stacking them. Some huge sounds in there. 
    trouble is I already have a Plethora X3 for my mod/verb/time based stuff (and I like the simplicity of it) so I'd rather not get into something that has everything in it. I shall ponder the OD200 some more, see if  I can find a decent youtube review that doesnt gush about how fab it is without saying that at least one of the drives is shite (there must be a shite one in there)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    FWIW I swapped my MD-200 for an M5 and prefer the M5, it's kind of gritty sounding but it has a character to it that I enjoy. I've ended up using the EQ and a few other bits and pieces on the M5 so it has outgrown its original purpose in my particular setup. Anyway massive digression I'm sorry!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Boss OD3 for light to mid level crunch is hard to beat.
    I've just fitted a Boss OD-3 to my board because my Nobels ODR-1 has started failing. 
    For me, these two don't compress too much so you still keep your dynamics -- not that I'm a player of much subtlety but many other pedals squash too much. 
    The other thing they share is they're not too bright up the top end.  Well, neither are my ears but I don't like things too ice picky. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    Source Audio LA Lady / Aftershock / Kingmaker Fuzz.

All the same inside, can load the sounds from all of them. And it will do parallel then summed, series (stacked), or true stereo.
    Load up the tones and mix a TS with a Bass fuzz if you want.

Doesn't matter which model you buy so just look for a deal on the cheapest!
    I stumped up for a Boss OD-200 in the end (I had 129 on a gift voucher so thats what I used). 
    I do have a question that the manual doesn't answer. If I program a setting of say the Scream drive with level at 100 and drive at 0 with Bass 12, Mids 20 and treble 0 , save it and come back to in later having forgotten what settings I gave it how do I see what those settings were? Is it not possible to view saved parameters at all ? ( The boost pre and post gain and Gate settings are shown as you scroll though)
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    I don't have the OD200, but based on the DD200 I use with my acoustic rig, I don't think you can. I find it pretty annoying. They could easily put a decent screen in there and show more info. 

In comparison, I have a GFS Skylar. Whenever you modify a parameter it shows the new and previous value. Makes it much easier to make small tweaks. 

Anyway, the OD200 could be different from the delay, so I could be talking crap.