Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Let's discuss Baritone guitars and lower tunings

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Back to the baritone drawing board again. Sold on a tele conversión recently. I don’t know what it is with me and teles. We just can’t get on ...
    I spent a while researching a load of baritones a while back, before deciding it wasn't worth it as I wouldn't use it enough. I can send you my spreadsheet if you like... (insert geek emoji here).

Have you tried the Reverend Descent ones? I nearly went for one, but just felt a tad too pricey for not a main guitar. Andertons had them in, and if one came up second-hand I'd be tempted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4418
    edited January 2020
    We're talking here about much lower tunings than I use, but I tune to drop C and I've never had any problems with standard scale guitars. I used to use 11s on my 24.75" guitars; everything I have now is 25.5" and I'm using 10-52s
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    B I th Slipknot guitarists use standard scale and play in A and B
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1549
    edited January 2020
    @AntonHunter same as you , I couldn’t justify the price of the Reverend as it wouldn’t be a main guitar. It looks cool though.
    I might experiment with a dropped tuning D to D, then drop the E to C.
  • I regularly play in low tunings, most recently drop a# so have considered a baritone but my Gibson 24.75 holds up ok.
  • I wonder would something like a danelectro tuned low D to D work?
  • @AntonHunter same as you , I couldn’t justify the price of the Reverend as it wouldn’t be a main guitar. It looks cool though.
    That's drop C then, isn't it? C G C F A D. I play in that pretty much all the time
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• ewalewal Frets: 2843
    I was very close to getting a Descent - really liked it when I tried a few in Merchant City Music. But like others, couldn't justify the cost.

I've ended up with a conversion neck on a Strat partscaster - I've never really bonded with it though. If I had the cash, I'd go back for a Descent.
  • @AntonHunter same as you , I couldn’t justify the price of the Reverend as it wouldn’t be a main guitar. It looks cool though.
    That's drop C then, isn't it? C G C F A D. I play in that pretty much all the time
    Yep which is what my old baritone was tuned to and sometimes B.