Thomas Nilsen guitar repairs/pickups/effects

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
edited February 14 in Guitar
Anyone heard of Thomas Nilsen? He's worked with some big names (Billy Gibbons, Slash, Mark Knopfler, Lenny Kravitz), is originally from Norway but has recently relocated to my neck of the woods up by the Moray Firth in N.E. Scotland.

I hadn't heard of him but lots of my friends are buzzing that he's up here and open for business.

He builds his own pickups under the Cream-T name and has also built guitars, and has a line of effect pedals coming soon ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    I've messaged with him in the past, but no first hand experience really.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    There have been a couple of Cream T guitars in the classifieds here.  They have a slightly squashed Les Paul kind of shape.

Cream T Custom Shop  Reverb
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    I don’t think he’s anything to do with Cream T any longer.  That’s all gone to Sound Affects in Ormskirk.
    But he clearly knows what he’s doing.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 1018
    Got a set of his early hand wound Whiskerbuckers, absolutely superb pickups based on BFG's 1959 Pearly Gates LP. A big step up from SD Pearly Gates humbuckers.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    edited February 14
    Aye he's got a decent C.V., I just hadn't heard his name before, or Cream-T for that matter.
    He's just posted on Facebook about pickups he's just made for Johnny Depp.
    Mad that he's just (sort of) down the road from me.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61555384587881

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    edited February 14
    DiscoStu said:
    Aye he's got a decent C.V., I just hadn't heard his name before, or Cream-T for that matter.
    He's just posted on Facebook about pickups he's just made for Johnny Depp.
    Mad that he's just (sort of) down the road from me.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61555384587881

My mate sold JD four ounce of high grade grass,  last time he was in London. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    There’s an episode of the GuitarNerds podcast where they interview Thomas I think 2021 ? 
    DrBob said:
    There’s an episode of the GuitarNerds podcast where they interview Thomas I think 2021 ? 
    Cool, I'll take a look
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    edited February 15
    rlw said:
    I don’t think he’s anything to do with Cream T any longer.  That’s all gone to Sound Affects in Ormskirk.
    He appears to have left Cream T a couple of years ago. Given that Cream T's whole USP was him using his mysterious scanner on famous pickups and winding the pickups to match, it does beg the question: who's making Cream T pickups now?
    Tim
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:
    He appears to have left Cream T a couple of years ago. Given that Cream T's whole USP was him using his mysterious scanner on famous pickups and winding the pickups to match, it does beg the question: who's making Cream T pickups now?

Cream T pickups and guitars is all Sound Affects now.  Whether the pickups are done in the same way remains to be seen but I don't think they are.
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:

Cream T pickups and guitars is all Sound Affects now.  Whether the pickups are done in the same way remains to be seen but I don't think they are.
    The recent stuff has been great and the 2 new models I have seen (Cream of the Crop and Hot Sauce) have been amongst the best I have seen from them. 
    I hear that there has been work going on to develop the "scanner" into a more full featured device with greater capability, but I will leave it to them to share info when the time is right.

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

That's good then; I thought that the scanner was a brilliant idea and was keen to see further devlopments.
    rlw said:
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:

The recent stuff has been great and the 2 new models I have seen (Cream of the Crop and Hot Sauce) have been amongst the best I have seen from them. 
    I hear that there has been work going on to develop the "scanner" into a more full featured device with greater capability, but I will leave it to them to share info when the time is right.
    Would you say they look like they've been built in the UK or further afield?
    Tim
    tFB Trader
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:

Oh - the pickups are most certainly wound in Ormskirk. I chat regularly with Richard who is in charge of the winds along with Alan and we talk in way too much detail about the intricacies of the winding machines he uses and the software that runs it for it to be any other way. 
    When UKGB closed down the extra UKCNC winding machines they had also ended up back at Cream T, so they have a few lined up and running.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:
    timmypix said:
    rlw said:

Oh - the pickups are most certainly wound in Ormskirk. I chat regularly with Richard who is in charge of the winds along with Alan and we talk in way too much detail about the intricacies of the winding machines he uses and the software that runs it for it to be any other way. 
    When UKGB closed down the extra UKCNC winding machines they had also ended up back at Cream T, so they have a few lined up and running.
    That's good to hear!
    Tim
  • SAM123SAM123 Frets: 11
    Hi, Cream T Custom Shop here, just to clear a couple of bits up. 

Thomas left Cream T a couple of years ago, but all processes, designs and equipment passed over to the new Cream T Custom Shop under my ownership. Richard who previously worked under Thomas was fully trained on making pickups. In reality Thomas made very few pickups himself during the 4 years or so we worked together. And now all our pickups are made here in Ormskirk, UK under Richard's guidance and our guitars are also made in the UK.

We have improved the famed pickup scanner and will be relaunching it soon. We owe a big thanks to Adrian Thorpe of Thorpy FX for some excellent R&D work on the new model which far surpasses the capabilities of Thomas' home made machine.

Lots of new models of pickups coming out as well as some really cool guitars. Richard is designing the pickups and I have just partnered with Cedric Leclerc as my new Creative Director who is designing the guitars. Cedric is the former CEO of Relish Guitars and VP of Global Marketing for Gibson. 

For the record I bought the assets of Relish guitars which liquidated last year as well as access to the patent for pickup swapping so will be continuing that technology within our guitars but also supporting former Relish customers. It will be rebranded, announcements coming soon.

We are also delighted that we are going to be making Newman guitars here in the UK. Set up by Ted Newman-Jones and Keith Richards in the 1970s' - Newman guitars have to date been primarily custom builds in the USA - they are also Billy's current weapon of choice. We are starting with the 5 string which Keef designed and played - very exciting. Expecting to launch around April/May.

Don't often post on here, but read it a lot and saw this thread and just thought it might be helpful to provide some clarity on a couple of bits.

I wish Thomas luck in his new venture with guitar repairs etc.

Tim
    Cream T Custom Shop
    Sound Affects Music Ormskirk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for posting, Tim. That clears up what is and isn't Cream T, and it sounds like you have some exciting things on the horizon which I'm sure we'd love to hear about so you might want to post more often!