SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Withdrawn. Gibson Les Paul custom shop R6 (1956) Murphy’s Lab - light relic

What's Hot
TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8158
edited March 3 in Guitars £
Thanks very much to the moderators for letting me break this guitar out into its own separate thread. 

I will donate some of the sale towards upkeep of this amazing forum. 

Guitar is a Gibson Les Paul R6 Murphy’s Lab - light relic 

I’ve had it about a year, and it genuinely is my favourite guitar.  It reached me in great shape, but luthier went over it with a fine toothed comb, and typical of Gibson finishing, it needed 12 high frets levelling and crowning. 

It plays beautifully, with fantastic action, and sounds spectacular.  The neck pickup is especially woody and glorious.  

Neck has a nice bit of girth on it without being huge. It’s supremely comfortable to play. 

Comes with paperwork and hard case, and a Bigsby B7 bolted to it.  The Bigsby is mounted on a vibramate, so is fully reversible.  If you’re not a fan of Bigsbys (crazy fool!), then it can be removed and there would be no evidence it was ever there. 

I REALLY REALLY don’t want to sell this, but tax man is being awfully needy, and nothing else is selling.

As of the end of the month, I’ll be working in Manchester regularly, so I can personally deliver between London and the north for free. 

Thanks to @dazzajl for kindly taking photos for me. What an absolute legend. 

SALE WITHDRAWN

Thanks for looking, but withdrawn from sale

Marlin
0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    You have to put this up on a day that I have decided I 'need' a 2xP90 guitar, ideally in gold top livery. You are a cruel cruel Marlin. Given half a chance I'd do this to you...

Blue Marlin Fish Replica mounted Blue Marlin  Blue marlin fish Marlin  Blue marlin

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8158
    McToot said:
    You have to put this up on a day that I have decided I 'need' a 2xP90 guitar, ideally in gold top livery. You are a cruel cruel Marlin. Given half a chance I'd do this to you...

Blue Marlin Fish Replica mounted Blue Marlin  Blue marlin fish Marlin  Blue marlin
    Can I stuff and mount the tax man?  He’s the cruel
    bugger forcing my hand. 

It’s honestly the best guitar I’ve ever had.  And, i’m
    no Gibson fanboy. If you look through my history, you’ll find posts saying how much I dislike Les Paul’s. But I got into P90’s (not a fan of humbuckers) and it eventually lead me to this  paradigm shattering guitar.  

I’ve never spent anything like that on a guitar before, and it’s honestly worth every single penny.  When the good times role, I WILL have another exactly the same. 

Sobs into hanky…. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5924
    Yeee’up. Have to grudgingly admit that this is the best guitar I’ve played. Full stop. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Change of pants needed over here
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33996
    What neck profile does this have?

It’s based on a 1956 neck, so got a bit of a chunk, but by no means massive.  It’s not baseball bat, it’s actually super comfortable. 

Round profile, no big shoulders on it, just a bit of extra thickness in the neck. 

It’s the best neck on any of my guitars. 
    I don't know the '56 neck.
    Is it bigger or smaller than a '59?
    edited February 17
    I’m not a Les Paul expert. I don’t like Gibson PAFs at all, I’ve never played a 59.

I’ve owned a 58 Maybach Lester which was a fab guitar, but PAFS are just not for me.  I’d say the neck was the same, maybe very slightly thicker on the 56, but doesn’t have the 58’s shoulders (on the neck), so it fits in the hand much more comfortably. 

It does have some depth, it’s not a slim neck, but it is very very comfortable. Probably the best neck on any guitar I’ve owned. 

I wish Gretsch would put a neck like that on a few of their guitars. 
    I'm interested but I don't want to waste your time.
    I've not played a Maybach.

I'm super picky with LP necks, 50's, 57, 58 are all too big for me.
    I can deal with a '59 neck. 60's neck is too slim.

Do you have calipers at all?
  • dcgdcg Frets: 238
    I have a 2019 goldtop R4 VOS: also about the finest instrument I've owned (and the most expensive).  Please buy this splendid R6 from @TheMarlin without further delay; I know what it feels like to have HMRC in hot pursuit... 
    octatonic said:
    I'm interested but I don't want to waste your time.
    I've not played a Maybach.

I'm super picky with LP necks, 50's, 57, 58 are all too big for me.
    I can deal with a '59 neck. 60's neck is too slim.

Do you have calipers at all?
    I do. Let me know the measurements you need, will do it shortly. 

dcg said:
    I have a 2019 goldtop R4 VOS: also about the finest instrument I've owned (and the most expensive).  Please buy this splendid R6 from @TheMarlin without further delay; I know what it feels like to have HMRC in hot pursuit... 
    they’re not quite in pursuit, but they are shopping for running spikes ;)
    Cheers, around the 1st and 12th fret would be great.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 923
    edited February 17
    octatonic said:
    I picked up a 2023 Custom shop 56 like this but without a Bigsby and not a Murphy lab late last year.
    The neck is definitely bigger than on the 56 compared to the 2021 R9 that I sold to fund the 56.
    I found the  R9 to be quite slim.
    The necks on these 56 are absolutely wonderful.
     I changed the stock pickups for a set of ThroBak and the guitar absolutely blows me away every time I play it.
    Bump
    Bump for spectacular guitar
    Someone please buy this and show off the value of upping your marketing. 

My professional reputation is slightly on the line here  :3
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16297
    markj said:
    octatonic said:
    I picked up a 2023 Custom shop 56 like this but without a Bigsby and not a Murphy lab late last year.
    The neck is definitely bigger than on the 56 compared to the 2021 R9 that I sold to fund the 56.
     I changed the stock pickups for a set of ThroBak and the guitar absolutely blows me away every time I play it.
    You say that but having spent a few weeks with this guitar on loan from Marlin I have to say that the neck P90 is just the sweetest loveliest pick-up sound I have ever heard .If I had spare money at the moment I would buy the guitar for that sound alone
    octatonic said:
    Cheers, around the 1st and 12th fret would be great.
    Marlin?
    Dominic said:
    markj said:
    octatonic said:
    You say that but having spent a few weeks with this guitar on loan from Marlin I have to say that the neck P90 is just the sweetest loveliest pick-up sound I have ever heard .If I had spare money at the moment I would buy the guitar for that sound alone
    As someone who’s always found the whole Murphy Lab ‘thing’ pretty hard to swallow and would have loved my stunning hand built Goldtop to have shown this guitar a clean pair of heels, I have to completely agree. There is something very special about this guitar. If you might be in the market, you really should go and see it for yourself. Marlin is super lovely and makes and excellent espresso.