Six-in-one guitar pickups

What's Hot
SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1436
https://alamedaguitars.com/pickups/

Interesting idea/approach/product. Anyone ever try them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No but I used to own a Variax and this sounds like it does something similar.  I'm no expert on pickups but is there something this does that the Variax system doesn't?  I suppose the fact you can buy this as a standalone pickup and not have to buy an entire guitar with this sytem is a bonus.  I don't think you can buy the Variax pickup and rotary switch on their own.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    The Variax had piezo saddles and a load of digital modelling (like tge Roland VG series).

This is a more conventional thing - an analogue pickup but with several coil and magnet combinations. Like an SD P-rail taken further. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    Looks more like a Duncan p-rails or Alegree chameleon aimed at Gretsch fans
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    No but I used to own a Variax and this sounds like it does something similar.  I'm no expert on pickups but is there something this does that the Variax system doesn't?  I suppose the fact you can buy this as a standalone pickup and not have to buy an entire guitar with this sytem is a bonus.  I don't think you can buy the Variax pickup and rotary switch on their own.

It's not the same thing really- it's all analogue for a start. From what I can work out, the pickup is made up of three different coils and the rotary switch lets you engage different combinations of coils to get you different sounds.

The Variax is meant to be a model of an entire guitar, not just the pickups. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    The Variax is meant to be a model of an entire guitar, not just the pickups. 
    Right up until the moment when it ceases to work! 

I don't think you can buy the Variax pickup and rotary switch on their own.
    The Variax electronical gubbins does sometimes appear for sale - usually after it has been removed from the host guitar because it stopped working.

normula1 said:
    Looks more like a Duncan p-rails or Alegree chameleon aimed at Gretsch fans
    Duncan P-Rails is two coils. Hence, four permutations. (Unless you also add a DPDT on-on switch for phase reversal.)

Alegree Chameleon has six output conductors, suggesting three coils but it might actually have four. (One of the coils is always operational. The others are added to complete each of the combinations.) 

Outwardly, it would appear that the Alameda pickups have more in common with the Alegree Chameleon design.

One of the company's other YouTube videos demonstrates the Off Kiltertrons in an S-type guitar. Plenty of sonic variety on offer but never as convincing as when installed on a fully hollow guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.