Advice for broken pickup

What's Hot
FlooksFlooks Frets: 16
I am working on a Tele partscaster and when it came to wiring up the pickups I am getting no resistance reading on the neck pickup and it is making no sound through the circuit.

These are the Fender Vintage 64 set which I bought new (from a shop not directly from Fender) but it was some months ago, I am not sure if the shop would still take them back.

Does anyone know if Fender themselves would fix this, or else any UK pickup makers that would be good to send this to?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FlooksFlooks Frets: 16
    Not that its particularly relevent, but here is the project!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Try redo'ing the solder joint where the pickup winding meets the wire 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I am a bit worried about breaking the thin coil wires but I might give it a go.
    If the soldering is the problem then should I get a resistance reading across the thin wires before they meet the solder points?
    I tried to get a reading there but didn't get anything
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    The pickup winding has a coating on it to insulate it so you won't get a reading touching the outside of it  ... resoldering the joints won't break the wire. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ah thanks, that makes sense. I will give it a go resoldering
    Thanks again for the suggestion Danny. I just heated up the solder points on the pickup and that was enough, its working fine now!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Ash at @OilCityPickups will help if the re-soldering doesn't work - Fender won't be interested
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    This is a very common problem on modern Fender pickups - they don't apply enough heat. I think it's probably because they also make pickups with plastic bobbins, which can't be heated much before the bobbin starts to melt, so the workers are trained to apply the minimum possible amount until the joint looks OK... except that it quite often isn't, and although it works at first, a bit of oxidation gets in over time and it stops.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    If the pickup is faulty the store is responsible for replacing it as the retailer. Fender are the manufacturers so they too are responsible from a manufacturer's warranty perspective.  Try the store first as they should replace it.  Golden rule, and hopefully goes without saying, always be friendly and polite. If its a decent store you should have no problems.  Don't try and fix it yourself as that could invalidate Fenders warranty. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Voxman said:
    If the pickup is faulty the store is responsible for replacing it as the retailer. Fender are the manufacturers so they too are responsible from a manufacturer's warranty perspective.  Try the store first as they should replace it.  Golden rule, and hopefully goes without saying, always be friendly and polite. If it’s a decent store you should have no problems.  Don't try and fix it yourself as that could invalidate Fenders warranty. 
    In theory, but if that means returning the guitar to the shop by courier (and a second time, to get it back to you) vs a simple and easy repair yourself, I would always do the latter. If done correctly this repair is undetectable anyway, if it later develops some other serious fault and does need to go back under warranty.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    It’s a partscaster, only the pickups would be returned. Good result anyway, and the Vintage 64s are great Tele pickups!
    Cheers for the advice chaps. I managed to fix it and I'd say it is undetectable. It would have been a lot more faff to return to the shop