McCartney’s Missing Hofner Found…

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14511
    Three threads and counting.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 710
    Anyone know where, the people who had it in their loft, would stand legally on it in terms of ownership? Given the length of time they've had it. The BBC article mentions it could be worth millions if sold. 
  • edited February 16
    TDubs said:
    Anyone know where, the people who had it in their loft, would stand legally on it in terms of ownership? Given the length of time they've had it. The BBC article mentions it could be worth millions if sold. 
    Depends on if it was put up there while the occupants already had the house, or whether it was in there when they bought the house. If they put it up there themselves, they have no claim to it, if someone else put it there, whilst they don't own it, they do have an option which could gain them remuneration.

Depending on their knowledge, or not, of its provenance, they could in theory be criminally liable (receiving/abetting that sort of thing) if the legal owner decided to pursue that. If however, it was up there when they bought the house, things the seller leaves typically become the new owner's possession if they made no effort to remove it when the exchange took place. However, in this case they couldn't own it; it was stolen. Legally it should never have been there and never legitimately belonged to the seller of the house. But...

Regardless of this, the owners of the house were nevertheless storing the bass and ensuring its safety for many years, and for that service they coud actually charge whatever they liked; as long as the fee wasn't ridiculously unreasonable (for that length of time, a quite large fee would not be unreasonable). If they decided to do that, it'd almost certainly be a case of 'tough shit' for the owner of the bass, they'd have to pay that storage fee. I doubt Paul McCartney would struggle to pay a reasonable storage fee.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    I thought Paul got it back years ago?
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    edited February 16
    Good to know that having looked here, there and everywhere, and after a long and winding road, Paul and his beloved Hofner are all together now. 

Paul said on Thursday, “Do you want to know a secret? I’ve been looking for this bloody thing eight days a week, but happiness is a warm gun, so I suppose I’ll just have to get it back in my life. I’ve got a feeling it won’t be long until the taxman  takes me on some sort of magical mystery tour. 
    Good night, good night.”

:-)
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2299

They were worried about telling him his bass had been nicked. "Don't worry I've got other basses". Top geeza.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    TDubs said:
    Depends on if it was put up there while the occupants already had the house, or whether it was in there when they bought the house. If they put it up there themselves, they have no claim to it, if someone else put it there, whilst they don't own it, they do have an option which could gain them remuneration.

Depending on their knowledge, or not, of its provenance, they could in theory be criminally liable (receiving/abetting that sort of thing) if the legal owner decided to pursue that. If however, it was up there when they bought the house, things the seller leaves typically become the new owner's possession if they made no effort to remove it when the exchange took place. However, in this case they couldn't own it; it was stolen. Legally it should never have been there and never legitimately belonged to the seller of the house. But...

Regardless of this, the owners of the house were nevertheless storing the bass and ensuring its safety for many years, and for that service they coud actually charge whatever they liked; as long as the fee wasn't ridiculously unreasonable (for that length of time, a quite large fee would not be unreasonable). If they decided to do that, it'd almost certainly be a case of 'tough shit' for the owner of the bass, they'd have to pay that storage fee. I doubt Paul McCartney would struggle to pay a reasonable storage fee.
    Stashing a Hofner Violin Bass in a loft doesn't come under the heading of 'ensuring its safety'.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    I dunno. It worked for the Elgin Marbles!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:
    Stashing a Hofner Violin Bass in a loft doesn't come under the heading of 'ensuring its safety'.
    I never said that this was the case in the example I gave, I said it being there unknown (instead of being bandied about all over the place) would have ensured its safety, whether intended or not.
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 580
    Who really cares? I for one couldn't care less.
    I would care more about a regular unknown gigging guitarist having his main gigging guitar stolen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • edited February 16
    bluecat said:
    Who really cares? I for one couldn't care less.
    I would care more about a regular unknown gigging guitarist having his main gigging guitar stolen.
    In the grand scheme of things I tend to agree, but given that Paul has given so much to the world of music over the years, I'm glad he and his errant Bass have finally 'come together' again. I'd rather that than some thieving twat have it hidden away somewhere, given how iconic it actually is.

Like him or not, he's been a massive influence. I'm not even a bass player, but I still have a couple of the basses he favoured stashed in my own loft:

https://i.imgur.com/MauMJ8R.jpeg

• BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 139
    I find it interesting that people are speculating about how much the bass is worth, when, having only just got it back, Paul is unlikely to want to sell it.
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 580
    Well he doesn't need the money does he.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    He spends a lot of time at the farm in Peasmarsh… (my wife went to school with his son, James).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    Threads merged
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    bluecat said:
    It’s got nothing to do with money FFS. 
  • bluecat said:
    It’s got nothing to do with money FFS. 
    Au contraire. Not for McCartney of course but the 'keepers' of it will certainly want or want to receive something in return I'm sure. Also the media always like to emphasise the price of something,it's their whole framing of most stories. I doubt this will be much different.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    guitarjack66 said:

Au contraire. Not for McCartney of course but the 'keepers' of it will certainly want or want to receive something in return I'm sure. Also the media always like to emphasise the price of something,it's their whole framing of most stories. I doubt this will be much different.
    If they were after the maximum monetary return they would have waited until after he's no longer with us and then 'found' it, so I doubt that's their main motivation.

I'm guessing honest intent. It must be very surreal to discover that you've got an old bass that isn't just Paul McCartney's, but the one that was used on some of the most iconic recordings ever made.

I'm sure Paul will make sure they're decently rewarded for returning it now, and not then...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein