Les Paul bridge replacement

What's Hot
Hey all,

so my bridge has inevitably collapsed on my 91 Les Paul custom (or at least is collapsing) and I’m looking to get a replacement. 

I believe I’m right in saying that this is a nashville? (Apologies that it’s the wrong way round) 

https://imgur.com/a/2WngeVO

I’m looking for a recommendation for a solid replacement. It’s currently a faber (which I believe is stock on a ‘91 custom, correct me if I’m wrong there though) any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477
    Yep, that's a Nashville bridge, and my first recommendation would be for another Faber. Tonepros if you want locking.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1373
    I like Faber…… It just so happens that Feline stock them amongst other good products.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11777
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27892
    Faber kit is epic, in general. 

Gibson have never fitted them stock though. The one you have there looks like a stock Gibson Nashville bridge
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    edited February 16 tFB Trader
    Faber all day long as far as I'm concerned - And chat to Jon @FelineGuitars if you are unsure which size etc as he is great to deal with
  • The faber bridge is good.  It adds warmth but on the wrong guitar can be a bit dull sounding.

Iv recently tried a few types on a les paul.  I preferred the sound of the hosco and KMS on my guitar though.  Both made the guitar sound more lively.
  • nice one, thanks very much for all the help once again. much appreciated!
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4787
    The faber bridge is good.  It adds warmth but on the wrong guitar can be a bit dull sounding.

Iv recently tried a few types on a les paul.  I preferred the sound of the hosco and KMS on my guitar though.  Both made the guitar sound more lively.

KMS made of what, out of interest?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4222
    A big +1 for a Faber Bridge, beautifully engineered and yes, it did sound more lively 
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1381
    rlw said:
    The faber bridge is good.  It adds warmth but on the wrong guitar can be a bit dull sounding.

KMS offer brass and zamak.

I saw on another forum @jumping@shadows praising the zamak version for sounding close to a vintage ABR-1. Huw Price was also similarly complimentary. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23841
    Presumably any stock Gibson bridge, Nashville or ABR-1, is zamak or similar?  (With a few exceptions over the years, that is.  I think there was an aluminium one on some recent models, although perhaps aluminium seems more suited to tailpieces than bridges.)
  • rlw said:

I've got one of the zamak ones.  I've not tried the brass.
  • Another vote for Faber. Got a Faber bridge and tailpiece for my 1980 Tokai LS80 and they are great quality.
  • robdynamiterobdynamite Frets: 95
    edited February 26
    Hey all,

so my bridge has inevitably collapsed on my 91 Les Paul custom (or at least is collapsing) and I’m looking to get a replacement. 

I believe I’m right in saying that this is a nashville? (Apologies that it’s the wrong way round) 

https://imgur.com/a/2WngeVO

I’m looking for a recommendation for a solid replacement. It’s currently a faber (which I believe is stock on a ‘91 custom, correct me if I’m wrong there though) any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

upon ordering a faber, which has slightly wider holes, i've found that it's a schaller and the tailpiece is faber. The overall footprint of the faber bridge is much smaller than the schaller in it's place which to be honest, makes it seem a little weird looking so i'm going to try and find a schaller to replace it but i don't suppose anyone knows if a tonepros would fit? As the schallers are incredibly more expensive than all others. Trying to find comparable measurements for the various companies/bridges is actually a lot harder than i would've thought!

https://imgur.com/a/qHLnlbg
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23841
    The Schaller's a Nashville type and the Faber's an ABR-1 type.  If it was a new guitar I'd have no hesitation in saying a TonePros Nashville type would fit, but since it's 30-odd years old I'm not sure if the specs might have changed slightly.  If you measure the spacing of the mounting holes and check the TonePros specs, it should be fine.  Note that TonePros do "narrow post" and "wide post" versions.  You want the narrow posts.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    I'd look for some conversion posts and fit the Faber ABR-1. I've had Faber bridge and tailpiece but have a Callaham ABR-1 now with conversion studs. I'd swap to a Callaham tailpiece too but £120 seems a bit much.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"