Low powered power amp

DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
Now then, I've been thinking/day dreaming about a lunch box home amp for a while now but whilst out on the sauce after watching Mogwai on Friday night my old pal offers me a sweet deal on his Mesa Studio preamp. Sounds good but I want to play through a small cab at home, so does anyone know of a cheap low powered power amp that's worth looking at?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Marshall Valvestate 8008. It's not very low-powered, but it is cheap.

Avoid the 8004, it's junk as well as cheap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I'm looking around for one too, something that's decent but sub 20w
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    edited October 2014
    If you want it really low powered how about one of these:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/amt_tc_3.htm

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    Or maybe running this preamp in the front end of a wee Fender combo might work for me. Hhmm..
  • Thomann do these power modules that can be fitted into a cab.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've been speaking to Martin at mjw about a custom build. I'd be interested in hearing what features people like in a power amp. I'm thinking really simple, level control and a bright switch, outputs for 16 and 8 ohms.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    timmysoft said:
    I've been speaking to Martin at mjw about a custom build. I'd be interested in hearing what features people like in a power amp. I'm thinking really simple, level control and a bright switch, outputs for 16 and 8 ohms.
    I would go with level control, presence and possibly resonance controls, and 16/8/4-ohm outputs (two jacks each for 8 and 4). That will make it compatible with almost any cabs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein