Today has been "mod" day

What's Hot
paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 866
edited February 17 in Guitar
So, After my recent Tele a like purchase, Ive been assessing my other 3 guitars, and more specifically useability and how they all sit as a family.   I felt some mods were in order.....

1.  PRS CU22.  Had this since 1999....  Its already had tuners replaced, and it has BK Mule PUs.  today I swapped the magnets in the bridge PU from Alnico 2 to alnico 4.   I also took the 5 way rotary out, put a 3 way switch and pull pot to split.  I used new volume pot too - and completely re-wired the harness.  Much neater.

2.  Select Strat.  This has already had its bridge replaced with a hipshot, but today got some Lollar Dirty Blonds, and the gilmore mod - kind of.  I wired it to add bridge rather than add neck.  Partly because my 3rd guitar came stock that way - and actually I normal live on neck on neck and middle - and just flipping the switch when on neck to add the tele-a-like mix seemed more logical.

3.  to Anderson Cobra S with P90s.   I found with the tele coming in, the tonal range from the tele to the TA was a little too much.  As switch of tone cap value and replacing the 500k vol pot with a 1 Meg one just adds a little more top - not much but just enough to make it cut a little more with the lower amp treble level I run with the tele.

4.   I have a Zilla 2x12 studio ported cab, and Ive run it closed for the last 11 years.  Today a panel came off the back.  My tastes have drastically changed over the past decade.  Ive moved away from the high gain HB sound sto the edge of break up SC ones.  Running it open backed takes some low end away, gives it an airyer more open sound - and has helped all my guitars for the styles Im now playing.

Im unsure about the teles-a-like (PJE Oz) bridge.  Its nice but a little too much.  I played with a para eq and it needs a couple of dB roll off around 3.4 really.  After Emailing Mojo (who provide the pickups for the PJE) and he recommended trying his Esquire bridge, and keeping the neck.  Ive taken the advice as the knows the guitars and pickups - a job for next month once they have been wound. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    Vespa Club Praha  Mods
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    I wish I had those tech skills  :'(
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I now know why the Tele is rather bright.... It has 500k pots.

So - played around with some resisters in parallel on the Vol pot.  500k across the pot - making it standard 250k is much better loo.  I actually ended up with 400k in parallel - making the pot nearer 222k, so unsure as weather I should get a new 250k pot - or just leave the 500k plus 400k resister in....

Ill still try the esquire though - historically Ive always prefered broadcaster style pickups in teles.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom