What's Hot

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    edited February 18 tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    Gassage said:
    Picked this up locally for a song

9lbs but super growly - real girth!
    I thought the 8.7lb Murphy I've got in felt like an anchor, I'll stick to my 7.5lb burst lol
    9lbs feels about right for a traditional Les Paul to me. I wonder if this one is weight relieved
    Interesting how light some people think a Les Paul should be. 

ATB currently has a handful of 50s Goldtops listed - some are over 9lbs. ‘Very’ light (as in sub 8.5lbs) vintage examples are very few and far between.
    I say the same lightweight is not very common and I had to cancel a burst commission because I couldn't get wood light enough to get around 8.5lb guitar like he wanted and now I've stopped those traditional builds and moved to Spanish cedar for all my builds, people have to move on or have an anchor round their neck.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    roberty said:
    Gassage said:

I thought the 8.7lb Murphy I've got in felt like an anchor, I'll stick to my 7.5lb burst lol
    9lbs feels about right for a traditional Les Paul to me. I wonder if this one is weight relieved

my 2017 Trad is a comfortable 8lb 15oz  -   my strat is 8lb
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    roberty said:
    Gassage said:

I don't care anymore Robert, I got spoilt on lightweight and just sold my 56 goldtop replica because I don't play it and there's not a vintage guitar I'd swap it with,  it really is a great guitar.

My new carved tops are more my thing now.
    Yeah there's absolutely no reason other than tradition why a guitar should be built that way or weigh so much. But it is fun and a bit bonkers, like the cheese rolling festival or that tomato throwing thing in Spain. The Royale '55 of yours I played was a completely different experience, there's no doubt that it's a better design. The guitar disappears and leaves you with just the strings the way a strat does
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12630
    jca74 said:
    I love a nice clean growler...
    This one is also "girthy".

Awaiting for comment if it's "hairy" or not.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32043
    roberty said:
    Gassage said:

ATB currently has a handful of 50s Goldtops listed - some are over 9lbs. They have ‘60 Sunburst at over 9lbs. ‘Very’ light (as in sub 8.5lbs) vintage examples are very few and far between.
    Exactly. Les Pauls originally gained their reputation for natural sustain and authoritative tone because they were uniquely heavily built, then everyone got old and decided they wanted a helium filled balsa wood piece of crap that's just shaped like a Les Paul. 

Nothing wrong with light guitars, but if you want a Les Paul to do what they're uniquely good at, they need to be a bit of a lump. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    roberty said:
    Gassage said:

ATB currently has a handful of 50s Goldtops listed - some are over 9lbs. They have ‘60 Sunburst at over 9lbs. ‘Very’ light (as in sub 8.5lbs) vintage examples are very few and far between.
    Exactly. Les Pauls originally gained their reputation for natural sustain and authoritative tone because they were uniquely heavily built, then everyone got old and decided they wanted a helium filled balsa wood piece of crap that's just shaped like a Les Paul. 

Nothing wrong with light guitars, but if you want a Les Paul to do what they're uniquely good at, they need to be a bit of a lump. 
    Sorry but that statement is utter nonsense, I've been building LP types over 10 years and my new carved tops are thinner and weigh less, 2 last year were 7.9lbs and my goldtop sounded exactly like a real 54, it wasn't just close it was spot on and I recorded it.

My 7lb pugilist built like a LP sounds like a really good LP, I expect my new carved tops to be
    Just as good without all the crap bits I don't want and be around 7.5lb, the goldtop version might be a bit lighter as I'm using a roasted maple cap.

No need for a heavy LP if you know how to build them imo and I get to compare to real vintage ones.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Shredding on a Les Paul is a bit like this

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23841
    roberty said:
    Well....

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited February 18
    but there's something weirdly satisfying - and right -  about having 9lbs hanging over your shoulder........... OK, granted age and length of "gig" is a massive factor in how long that is sustainable............ but at the end of the day,   its just one of those things.   As great as they may be,  a light les paul just isnt right. (for a while at least   )  plus they make crap weapons against stage intruders
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • p90fool said:
    roberty said:
    Gassage said:

Sorry but that statement is utter nonsense, I've been building LP types over 10 years and my new carved tops are thinner and weigh less, 2 last year were 7.9lbs and my goldtop sounded exactly like a real 54, it wasn't just close it was spot on and I recorded it.

My 7lb pugilist built like a LP sounds like a really good LP, I expect my new carved tops to be
    Just as good without all the crap bits I don't want and be around 7.5lb, the goldtop version might be a bit lighter as I'm using a roasted maple cap.

No need for a heavy LP if you know how to build them imo and I get to compare to real vintage ones.
    I’m sure your guitars are wonderful, but the brash self congratulation, and denigrating traditional builds, is quite off putting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    roberty said:
    Gassage said:

I’m sure your guitars are wonderful, but the brash self congratulation, and denigrating traditional builds, is quite off putting.
    My original statement was a joke tbh, Gassage left a silly comment about my guitar nothing more.

Then it descended into it has to be heavy which I disagree with, never mind we can all have a laugh over the back of the Murphy lab refinish because it's falling off.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    roberty said:
    Gassage said:

My original statement was a joke tbh, Gassage left a silly comment about my guitar nothing more.

Then it descended into it has to be heavy which I disagree with, never mind we can all have a laugh over the back of the Murphy lab refinish because it's falling off.
    Fair enough, the Murphy lab stuff makes me chuckle too.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31262

Did I fuck. I didn't say anything at all.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• very nice guitar enjoy :-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

tFB Trader
    Gassage said:

Did I fuck. I didn't say anything at all.

You said something very original about my pugilist on earwighoney NGD thread so I thought I'd return the favour.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8164
    Congrats. Thes sound spectacular!

Will you be bolting a Bigsby on it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    roberty said:
    Well....

Oh it's great and I fully encourage it. It takes a certain level of commitment is all
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    So what model is this Les Paul ? 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    TheMarlin said:
    Congrats. Thes sound spectacular!

Will you be bolting a Bigsby on it? 
    why would he do something like that? 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12560
    Loobs said: