Peavey Triumph

What's Hot
Anyone got one that they want to sell?
Either combo or head. 
I had one in the early 90s. Had to sell it to fund Marshall Stack #2. 
Quite fancy one again for old times sake. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7652
    Be careful what model you buy.  Look for the ones with "PAG" in the name i.e. Parallel Axis Geometry I think.  I had a 120 1x12 Triumph in the mid to late 80s and it had an issue where it would just suddenly drop in volume and sit there singing a high pitched note until turned off and rested.  Peavey refused to acknowledge that it was a manufacturing flaw but later came out with the PAG revision in which they had repositioned the valves in relation to other components, and boasted about it being better than the predecessors but without saying it had been changed to fix a problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1957
    There is one for sale on Reverb. Not sure if it pre or post PAG.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Easy to tell if there's a photo of the back - if the valves are visible vertically below the chassis in the conventional way, it’s *not* a PAG. PAG has them mounted horizontally inside the chassis - this tends to stop the instability which made the older model self-oscillate as BillDL described.

Either of them are about the weight of a small car and sound rather unsubtle though - they were meant as something like a take on a Mesa/Boogie Mark series, but they lack the touch-sensitivity and sound almost like a very good solid-state amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
    ICBM said:
    Easy to tell if there's a photo of the back - if the valves are visible vertically below the chassis in the conventional way, it’s *not* a PAG. PAG has them mounted horizontally inside the chassis - this tends to stop the instability which made the older model self-oscillate as BillDL described.

Either of them are about the weight of a small car and sound rather unsubtle though - they were meant as something like a take on a Mesa/Boogie Mark series, but they lack the touch-sensitivity and sound almost like a very good solid-state amp.
    Is there an old Peavey that doesnt weigh the same as a small car?  =)
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:

:)

Actually the Bravo is quite light... which is the only positive thing I can say about it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    robgilmo said:

Actually the Bravo is quite light... which is the only positive thing I can say about it.

I had a Bravo. I still shudder at the memory of it. Utter shite.

I’ve always believed it was a cunning ploy by Hartley Peavey to demonstrate how far superior his solid-state amps were to valve ones.

• The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you. I wonder if there’s a schematic somewhere for the foot switch. 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 974
    ICBM said:
    robgilmo said:

Amazing how perception colours experience.

Mid 80's I got into a lot of debt and had to sell all my gear.

I didn't play  an electric guitar for the next 2 years.

Saved £100 and bought a 2nd hand no name strat copy and marshall ms2. 

When I was trying the guitar in a shop on Denmark Street they plugged me into a bravo.

First time playing in 2 years it sounded amazing to my ears and I lusted after 1 for a while.
  • Thank you. I wonder if there’s a schematic somewhere for the foot switch. 
    I had a 60 combo and from memory the foot switch had a 6 or 8 pin socket. I’m sureIt will be fixable but I’ll let the experts be the judge of that!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • The Swamp City Shakers
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 854
    robgilmo said:
    ICBM said:

There is a Stereo Chorus 212 in the practice room we use.  Heavier than all of the planets of the solar system put together!!