Box to record amp from speaker out to USB audio?

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 759
I have done quite a bit of searching, but does anyone know if there is a box that can connect to a speaker out that ALSO has a USB audio connection for recording. Would also need to have cab emulation / IR capability.

- I have got a two notes cabm+ ...It does everything I want, but does not have USB audio out

FYI The two notes can be connected to the 'hot' speaker out as long as there is either a speaker or load connected after it.

I could go for a 2 box solution and get a small usb audio interface that takes the audio out from the cabm, but was hoping to avoid having 2 boxes.

I know the Boss WAZA TAE can do it, but was also hoping that I didn't have to get a massive box to do this job.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    I’m pretty sure the Two Notes Torpedo Captor X will do this

https://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-series/torpedo-captor-x/

• allenallen Frets: 759
    Unfortunately not. The USB is only for data which is the same as the cabm. 

• breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    There’s the Ox box, too.

I’d assume Two Notes have something that can do this

@AmyTwonotes

• bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    edited February 20
    EDIT

I misread the OP
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    breadfan said:
    There’s the Ox box, too.

@AmyTwonotes
    Actually the Ox does not have USB audio out - which is ridiculous!

I've been through the whole two notes website. Can't find anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfan said:
    There’s the Ox box, too.

@AmyTwonotes
    Thanks for the tag @breadfan! ;

Hi All, 
    none of our products feature a built in audio interface - however we will certainly feed this back to the team for consideration in future products
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure if it is precisely what you want here (tell me if I am being dense as to your question) but I have had the same dilemma in the sense that I also do not want to have two boxes for both cab sim/IR and USB audio interface to computer.

Am currently looking at the Boss IR-200 because it seems to do a straightforward USB audio interface for recording as well as the cab sim/ IR loader bit. https://www.boss.info/global/products/ir-200/

I looked at a dozen others but none seemed to do this simply, so this is probably what I'm going to do short term. (Longer term I'd want a way better 'studio' interface but I'm not there yet.)

Hope this helps your quest?  :)
    Thanks for that.

Yes, the IR-200 looks to do the job, but the bit it can't do is take a 'hot' output from the speaker out of the amp. At least I don't think it can.

The two notes cab-m does something similar to the IR-200, but although can take a speaker input, it doesn't have a usb out. 

So basically I'm looking for the merger of an IR-200 and cab-m.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6302
    It was bizarre to me when I found that that the Two Notes and Ox Box had the USB interface but no audio over it.

ISTM that all of the IR-widget makers lack the confidence to take on the extra task of audio interface+driver development. And I don't expect audio interface developers to want to add a proper 20W-100W reactive loadbox into their devices.

So I think a two-box solution is all we'll have for a while.
  • Got it... Yes, that does seem to present an issue.

For what it's worth, my plan was to stick the Boss IR-200 in my Fryette power station's FX Loop (since that should be instrument-level signal) and then out to my computer from the Boss. That way I have a load for the tube amp, plus my full amp sound going into the Fryette and then into the boss, and I would only be using the Boss for the cab sim (I'd turn off the amp sim) and audio interface. Not sure if this is a naive notion on my part, tbh.

But now you're making me question my sanity on that... I just read the IR-200 manual and it didn't say much on which creative places you can put it in a full signal chain.