Old parlour guitars

What's Hot
Inspired by @WezV 's repair thread in Making & Modding, which I didn't want to hijack: this is the guitar I learned to play on, sometime in the Jurassic era.

My dad bought it as part of a mixed lot in an auction. It's had a hard life. The bridge is a modern replacement, it's not clear whether the fingerboard is original either.

There are a lot of similarities with WezV's instrument but also some differences. I think this one has always been nylong-strung. 

I was told it's probably French, but I have no idea how to tell. There's no writing anywhere that I can see. 

Any idea what wood the back is? Boxwood perhaps?
gtr.jpg 734.4K
back.jpg 1.1M
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16730
    edited February 19
    That's nice.  do you have a shot of the tuners?  It does have some similarities with mine, but I agree yours has always been nylon strung with that tie bridge

Looks like Birdseye maple/sycamore on the back to me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    Tuners (again, no idea if these are original):

The bent one still works fine so I use it like that rather than risk breaking it by bending it back.
    tuners.jpg 777.1K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16730
    I guess they are original, they are a match for the ones that are on mine
  • grayngrayn Frets: 887
    I think it's a very cool looking parlour.  I wish my first guitar had been like that.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    It was probably a good instrument to learn on as it's really easy to play. Not much use in a rock band though -- I got a shock when I bought my first (crap) electric guitar.