NAD - Marshall ST20H JTM Studio

What's Hot
Sharky77Sharky77 Frets: 226
Full disclosure - Marshall sent me this amp for artist price which is around 50% of the new cost. However I already had a fairly large amp collection including a bunch of late 60s Fenders ('68 Vibrolux, '68 Super, '68 Bassman, '67 Bandmaster, '65 Tremolux cab) and a Ceriatone JM50. 

So I really didn't need the amp but after being invited to the Marshall studios to try some amps out this one really spoke to me. I received the amp around 10 days ago and have taken it on tour with me so it's already done 5 shows. Really impressed with the way it sounds, super versatile with the 5w/20w switch and it's easy to transport with the 112 cab, both are really lightweight. 

As you can see I normally use amps with more headroom but haven't felt restricted by 20w at all. We are on in ears for this tour but the first gig I did with it was with a different artist where I was using earplugs and monitors and it had no problems keeping up with a very loud drummer.

Have been using a Novo Miris P2 w/Fralin P90s and a Jazzmaster w/'59 spec pickups. 

Also impressed by how quiet the noise floor is - you can hardly tell it's on. I will do some decent sound clips at some point but for the moment here is a picture showing how cool it looks. Which brings me to the biggest negative - the knobs. It ships with all black knobs that are impossible to see where your settings are. I changed these out really easily so now it's not an issue. 

Would definitely recommend this amp!

(NGD post coming soon for the Miris)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    is that an old Yamaha combo on the left
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72944
    That Yamaha looks very nice ;). And quite funny that despite appearances, it's the 'vintage' amp there :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sharky77Sharky77 Frets: 226
    Yeah it's my backup amp for the tour. 100w G100 from the early 80s. Great sounding amp but not as good as the Marshall - I a/b'd them in soundcheck yesterday 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    remember playing one back at dear old Bill Greenhalghs in Execeter............ my recollection is it sounded incredibly "full"compared to the other offerings that were there,  sadly out of my ££ bracket back then
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom